Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could an atheist who called Jesus a "drunkard" be elected in your country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordShiva

I think
    that's
    what he
    meant
    But
    not
    what
    he
    said
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Hahahahano. No freaking way. Surveys show that we in the USA would elect a gay man president before an atheist, and we're not even talking an outspoken atheist running on an "anti-religion platform," whatever that is.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Re: Could an atheist who called Jesus a "drunkard" be elected in your country?

Originally posted by aneeshm
        A genuine question.

If there were an atheist politician (assuming such a thing can exist) in your country, and he called Jesus (or equivalent figure of reverence) a:

a) Lie,
        b) Drunkard, and
        c) Evil racist imperialist,

would he be electable anywhere?

More generally - would an atheist politician, running on an anti-religion platform, be electable?

Also, would it be appropriate for him (or any other politician) to make such statements, or to run on such a platform?
        I'd think the politician would be retarded for criticizing a major religious figure without textual/historical evidence.
        If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Unelectable, even in our most liberal, atheist areas.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Shrapnel12
            I would like to see this candidate run in a predominately muslim country.
            Nobody but the winner is allowed to "run" in a predominately muslim country.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

It might happen in NZ.

But insulting the good name of Jesus is kind of like bad mouthing Mother Teresa, Gandhi, Mandela or the Buddha - regardless of whether you think Jesus had any divine nature (or even existed as wrote about ), he is the very model of a good honest to god guy, so someone who goes around slandering Jesus is essentially, a big fat asshat who is full of sh*t. The only people who would vote for him would be those who fit a "rebel without a clue" archtype.

In general, Atheist is okay though, people would happily vote for someone who is openly atheist and controversial, just as long as he isn't simultaneously a total unredeemable asshat.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                It might happen in NZ.

But insulting the good name of Jesus is kind of like bad mouthing Mother Teresa, Gandhi, Mandela or the Buddha - regardless of whether you think Jesus had any divine nature (or even existed as wrote about ), he is the very model of a good honest to god guy, so someone who goes around slandering Jesus is essentially, a big fat asshat who is full of sh*t. The only people who would vote for him would be those who fit a "rebel without a clue" archtype.

In general, Atheist is okay though, people would happily vote for someone who is openly atheist and controversial, just as long as he isn't simultaneously a total unredeemable asshat.
                Mother Teresa deserves to be badmouthed. Withholding anesthetics from dying people is not very nice.
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

In the election of 1800, Federalists did pretty much everything they could to tar Jefferson with the label "athiest," and Jefferson and his followers did almost nothing to deny it. He nevertheless beat the incumbent Adams handily.

So, basically, we've gone backwards.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Christianity in America was far more secure than it is now.

Comment

Christianity in America has never been more secure than it is now. It's Christians who are insecure.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Social conservatism is losing pretty badly. That probably is the source for insecurity.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                          Christianity in America has never been more secure than it is now. It's Christians who are insecure.
                          Are you kidding? Christianity is far less universal now than it was then.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                            Social conservatism is losing pretty badly. That probably is the source for insecurity.

JM
                            Social conservativism is always losing pretty badly. I thought that was its definition.

Comment

Really? Compare roman times, middle ages (I know, very broad), victorian, 20s/30s, 50s, and the last 50 years.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                                Are you kidding? Christianity is far less universal now than it was then.
                                Universality is irrelevant to security, if the alternatives aren't threats. In a pluralistic US, Christianity is actually less threatened, because the the things that protect Christianity (like the 1st Amendment) protect other religions as well.

By contrast, at least two earlier periods saw powerful anti-Christian ideologies with some popularity in the US, including popularity among leading social figures. In the early Republic, there was a good degree of sympathy in some quarters for the goals and tenets of the French revolution, including its aggressive secularism. In the frist half of the 20th century, Communism (including American Communism). What quarter of society, or what influential group of elites in US society, is anti-religion today?

I stand by my original statement: Christianity has never been more secure. It's Christians who are insecure, even paranoid -- but that may have more to do with their immersion in right wing politics (per Hofstadter) than with their Christianity.

Comment

Working...
                                X