Iran leader denied WTC wreath request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arrian
    Nah, Sloww invited you over so he could get you on a boat to Cuba!

-Arrian
    Doesn't he know I'm from Russia
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom

You don't get the use of this English language thing with regards comparisons and analogies, do you ?

YOU stated that because something was widespread, it was acceptable.
      No. I stated that if a behavior was widespread that it wasn't bad manners.
      It was an invitation to speak in an academic setting, not Oprah or Jerry Springer. Geez Louise.
      So what? Is there something holy about an academic setting?
      Remember, this isn't about you and your feelings.
      It's only about yours? This is ONLY about peoples feelings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

No. I stated that if a behavior was widespread that it wasn't bad manners.
        Butcha didn't Blanche.

To a lot of people it does. Especially younger people in this country. That type of behaviour is acceptable.
        So if a lot of people (especially younger people) do something or approve of something, it's acceptable.

No, it's simply common or widespread. Like rudeness, thoughtlessness, racism, et cetera...

So what? Is there something holy about an academic setting?
        Ever heard of context ?

Inappropriate behaviour ?

Clearly you're in some kind of Sixties Marin County retro groove and in favour of lettin' it all hang out, whenever, wherever.

I'm beginning to despair and think that attempting to explain decorum, a host's obligations and standards of behaviour to you, is like trying to explain the shades of colour in a late Monet to someone who's congenitally blind.

It's only about yours?
        Nope. My feelings, like yours, are irrelevant.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

So racism, wifebeating and child abuse are also 'acceptable' ?

Unfettered capitalism, child labour and infringements of health and safety laws at work ?

Scab labour, industrial pollution and sex-trafficking ?

Hard to believe you used to be some kind of leftist...

Not much point in having an honest discussion with you then, is there ?
          Actually that's one of the dirty little secrets about this world. All those things are acceptable when it's common. Why do you think everyone always criticizes the US so harshly when it does these things or like when it kills civilians in war, yet noone even hiccups over the atrocities of terrorists or the evil treatment of women in the ME? Because it'sn not acceptable here, but it is there. I'm sure for the ME and Muslim countries, Iran really is the bastion of freedom that Ahmadinejad claims it is. Anyway bad behaviour, whether criminal or just rude often become acceptable when it is commonplace and people sit idly by.
          EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shrapnel12

All those things are acceptable when it's common.
            They're only acceptable to certain people. To people who give a damn about civilized behaviour, workers' rights, the rights of women, the right of children not to be exploited, they're entirely unacceptable.

Why do you think everyone always criticizes the US so harshly when it does these things or like when it kills civilians in war
            Because as a liberal democracy it's meant to have a different set of standards and ethics in comparison with somewhere like, say, oohh, Burma/Myanmar or Zimbabwe.

yet noone even hiccups over the atrocities of terrorists or the evil treatment of women in the ME?
            Noone ? Are you sure ?

I'm sure for the ME and Muslim countries, Iran really is the bastion of freedom that Ahmadinejad claims it is.
            I'm sure it isn't. So are plenty of other people.

Again, Iran's status is irrelevant.

Anyway bad behaviour, whether criminal or just rude often become acceptable when it is commonplace and people sit idly by.
            I agree.

But then that's why I campaigned for Soviet Jews and against the British National Front- and against the Thatcher government's anti-gay legislation.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

...To people who give a damn about civilized behaviour, workers' rights, the rights of women, the right of children not to be exploited, they're entirely unacceptable.
              Does this group include people like Aggie who are alway sticking up for people like Ahmandinejad? They only care when it happens in the US so they can bash it because of their blind hatred and personal prejudices.

Because as a liberal democracy it's meant to have a different set of standards and ethics in comparison with somewhere like, say, oohh, Burma/Myanmar or Zimbabwe.
              Really? I thought the idea was that these standards were meant for everyone, not just the US. See what I mean about it being acceptable in some places?

I'm sure it isn't. So are plenty of other people.
              Sorry, I forgot my sardonic smiley.
              EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

Does this group include people like Aggie who are alway sticking up for people like Ahmandinejad? They only care when it happens in the US so they can bash it because of their blind hatred and personal prejudices.
                I don't agree with Ahmadinejad on many things. But that doesn't prevent me from objecting to Americans telling lies about him in order to further their ridiculous political agenda and foment war. He has some odd ideas, but he's certainly not the Satanic figure that all the right wing American throwbacks would like us to believe.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

I'm beginning to despair and think that attempting to explain decorum, a host's obligations and standards of behaviour to you, is like trying to explain the shades of colour in a late Monet to someone who's congenitally blind.
                  Um can I have some money now?

Since you are unable to convince me let me try to convince you.

In this country with the common people men sometimes feel some discomfort in the crotch region. Now it is bad manners to make adjustments in public. However, it's understandable if you occasionally have to make an adjustment, so long as it doesn't amount to public masterbation. See sometimes things are bad manners but they are ok. Get it?

Comment

• Bollinger was a jerk as the host. Somebody else should've been the hachetman. OTOH who gives a **** about insulting someone we're gonna have to kill before they build a nuke.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Does this group include people like Aggie who are alway sticking up for people like Ahmandinejad?
                      I'm sure Aggie has to sleep and shop occasionally. He can't always be doing just that .

They only care when it happens in the US so they can bash it because of their blind hatred and personal prejudices.
                      Riight.
                      Do you have any 'personal' prejudices to speak of ?

I thought the idea was that these standards were meant for everyone, not just the US.
                      They are, but because some places aren't liberal democracies, we acknowledge that their application of these universal standards is somewhat tardy, inefficient, inoperative, et cetera.

Geddit ?

See what I mean about it being acceptable in some places?
                      Err, no.

See sometimes things are bad manners but they are ok. Get it?
                      See last answer.

Comment

See last answer.
                        I can't even find one article critisizing him for his bad manners. I found one internet poll where only 23% said he shouldn't have said it because the guy was from the ME, pointing to the idea that it's only considered bad manners in other countries. One journalist for the LA times said that someone should even invite Bush to a university and do the same thing to him.

Comment

I can't even find one article critisizing him for his bad manners.
                          Two pieces of advice then:

1) Look a little harder
                          2) Check non-US media
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil

Two pieces of advice then:

1) Look a little harder
                            Everyone knows I'm a lazy communist.
                            2) Check non-US media
                            Who cares about non-US media? We are talking about if it is acceptable in the US. We already know it isn't acceptable else where.

Comment

Everyone knows I'm a lazy communist.

Who cares about non-US media? We are talking about if it is acceptable in the US. We already know it isn't acceptable else where.

Okay then. Continuing bum-thumbing.
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X