• Show
Clear All

• Man gets 5 years after being shot in groin, castrated

Poor boy.

McKinney: Man who fired at officers conducting raid was shot in groin

09:26 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

By TIARA M. ELLIS / The Dallas Morning News
    tellis@dallasnews.com

McKINNEY – A 27-year-old man who had to be castrated after McKinney police shot him in the groin during a police raid was sentenced Tuesday to five years in prison for shooting at an officer during the same incident.

Guillermo Urquiza said he was asleep at home in April 2006 when McKinney SWAT team members burst in to arrest him and look for evidence that he had solicited a police informant to kill a McKinney officer.

During the raid, Mr. Urquiza shot at the officers but did not hit anyone. Police, who said they fired only after hearing gunshots, wounded him in the groin and stomach. Since then, he has undergone seven surgeries, including the castration.

Mr. Urquiza was never indicted on a charge of solicitation of capital murder, the original reason police executed the search and arrest warrant and entered his home. He was charged with two counts of assault of a public servant, and his trial began Sept. 11. A Collin County jury convicted him on one count and gave him the minimum sentence of five years Tuesday afternoon.

"It was a pretty interesting message being sent by the jury," said Scott Palmer, Mr. Urquiza's attorney. "I have mixed emotions. It's a bittersweet type of reaction. I'm happy, but I'm sad. I don't want him to go to prison."

Collin County prosecutor John Schomburger said: "I think the defendant deserved to be convicted and go to jail. And that's what happened today."

During the trial, Mr. Schomburger said that Mr. Urquiza knew that the men entering his home were police officers. The officers testified that they yelled "Police! Police!" and that their uniforms were clearly marked.

Mr. Palmer said his client never had a chance to decipher the shouts or see the uniforms.

"It was 12:15 a.m. He'd been asleep for about an hour. Not a sound was made until they took the doors off the hinges," Mr. Palmer said. "These jurors decided he must have known. Obviously, I disagree with that assessment."

Mr. Urquiza, an illegal immigrant from Mexico, will be eligible for parole after serving 2 ½ years. With time served, that could be next year. When he is released, however, Mr. Urquiza will be deported.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Mr. Palmer said his client never had a chance to decipher the shouts or see the uniforms.
    Yes, they were supposed to give him time to run away. With all the stories about people being shot to death for reaching for a wallet, I refuse to feel sorry for someone who actually shot at cops.
    EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

He wasn't even supposed to be here, for the first thing.
      Solicited murder. Shot at cops. Dork.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        Solicited murder. Shot at cops. Dork.
        I disagree. The guy had balls.
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Comment

There is an intese amount of noise and confusion during a no knock search warrant. I would tend to believe that this guy didn't know for sure who the people were. On the other hand, if it was someone coming to get him, he'd have been dead without waking up. Also, there are not many house robberies that start with people breaking into the place at multiple location at once screaming anything, much less "police!".

He did, however, shoot at police officers (guy is lucky to be alive!). Giving him the minimum is probable the best outcome.
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I think his role in jail is pretty much assured.
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Isn't it bred into you Texans to shoot at anyone on your property? Poor guy was just reacting the only way he knew how.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                  I think his role in jail is pretty much assured.
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

thats a low blow.

Comment

I always wonder, with stories like this, if they really mean emasculation rather than castration.
                      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Texas is ****ed up!
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

I think that speaks volumes about your mental capacity.

Comment

This guy is going to take a sudden interest in flower decorating. Maybe he's suffered enough.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I guess there's no pitcher or catcher question that pertains to this situation.
                              Last edited by SlowwHand; September 19, 2007, 21:03.

Comment

Working...
                              X