No announcement yet.

Greenspan memoirs: Iraq war was for oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He recalls telling a friend who had accused Nixon of anti-semitism that “he wasn’t exclusively anti-semitic. He was anti-semitic, anti-Italian, anti-Greek, anti-Slovak. I don’t know anybody he was pro”.

That's funny stuff .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think part of the confusion is my fault as I read two articles on Greenspan's memoirs, both of which mentioned his views on Iraq and fiscal discipline. I posted the one that dealt predominantly with the latter.

Just to be clear the quote above...

“I am saddened that it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows: the Iraq war is largely about oil,”

...is being attributed to Greenspan. I don't think he doing more than expressing his personal opinion (i.e no inside info) but certainly an eyebrow-raiser nonetheless.

Comment

And, of course, we don't know the context. He may be saying that we wouldn't concern ourselves about the MidEast and Iraq so much if they didn't control most of the oil. Ie, it may be indirectly about oil, rather than directly.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
          Do you think the economy could function with wildly fluctuating interest rates like that, or do you think if they tried it again that interest rates wouldn't fluctuate wildly?
          inflation is a lot worse then that, but even still both inflation and interest rates were very high during the late 70s. Consistently back breakingly high isn't so great.
          Last edited by Whoha; September 16, 2007, 19:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

inflation is a lot worse then that, but even still both inflation and interest rates were very high during the late 70s. Consistently back breakingly high isn't so great.
            Well prices haven't fluctuated much since the 70's. So I don't think that's a problem. Whether it was worse of a problem in 79 is open for debate. But I think they definitely did the right thing by returning to targeting interest rates instead of the money supply after witnessing interest rates fluctuating like that. By targeting interest rates prices don't fluctuate nearly as much as interest rates will fluctuate by targeting the money supply.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
              Of course he can "opine" until he's blue in the face. However, the article above and another linked in it speak of a "declaration" and make it sound like he's speaking from a position of authority based on classified information to which he'd have access.
              I didn't read it that he was making a declaration, but can understand where a person might be sensitive to that implication.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I find this far more interesting:

But Mr Greenspan said that his successors at the Fed – who meet on Tuesday to set interest rates – would have to be careful not to ease rates too aggressively, because the risk of an “inflationary resurgence” was greater now than when he was Fed chief.
                In other words: "I royally screwed up in '98 and '01, you go and fix it Bernbanke!"

As Fed chairman, Mr Greenspan had talked about “froth” in the housing sector, but never said there was a bubble in the market as a whole. His successor Ben Bernanke has also avoided the word “bubble”.

But Mr Greenspan told the FT that froth “was a euphemism for a bubble”.
                WELL DUUUH

Last edited by Colon™; September 16, 2007, 22:23.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

How much is he making for giving his opinion?
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

In the past he made money doing the opposite.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

That's correct, and he didn't mind making it then, either.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I agree with Colon that Greenspan's legacy is up for discussion. In many respects, he may be trying to write the first draft of the history of his tenure.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

He's an excellent economist and a cunning politician. The two qualities don't really combine well though.

Comment

He should be locked in prison.
                            Keel hauled.
                            Drawn and quartered.

Comment

Greenspan was the greatest Fed Chief eva, and he's dead on about the Iraq War.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

"The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X