Greenspan memoirs: Iraq war was for oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious
    I don't really see it as a discussion. He's just another citizen you can see what is so obvious.
    I don't think DD was referring to the ongoing discussion about whether we should have invaded, but rather to the discussions among top national security officials in the lead-up to the war.

He'd have to have been privy to these discussions to make any revelatory "declaration" about their original intentions, and I can't see why he would have been.
    Unbelievable!

Comment

Whoha?

You a monetarist?
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871

I don't think DD was referring to the ongoing discussion about whether we should have invaded, but rather to the discussions among top national security officials in the lead-up to the war.

He'd have to have been privy to these discussions to make any revelatory "declaration" about their original intentions, and I can't see why he would have been.
        The Fed is usually not involved in that type of discussion, in fact they probably have never been involved in such discussion.

Comment

The Fed is usually not involved in that type of discussion, in fact they probably have never been involved in such discussion.
          That's exactly my point Kid, and what DD appeared to be getting at. Greenspan's opinion on the issue would be about as informed and relevant as that of the Surgeon General, so I don't see how it's news.

Now if someone actually in the know like Powell, Armitage, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Tenet, etc. suddenly has a crisis of conscience and drops a bomb to the media, then we'd have something.
          Unbelievable!

Comment

Well, I dont think his opinion on the Iraq war matters more than that of a random dude, but I think his opinion on Bush economics are interesting.
            I need a foot massage

Comment

That's exactly my point Kid, and what DD appeared to be getting at. Greenspan's opinion on the issue would be about as informed and relevant as that of the Surgeon General, so I don't see how it's news.

Now if someone actually in the know like Powell, Armitage, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Tenet, etc. suddenly has a crisis of conscience and drops a bomb to the media, then we'd have something.
              I don't know if you guys read anything more than Spikes thread title. I think you have a wrong impression.

Comment

Whoha?

You a monetarist?
                Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

Yes.
                  Do you think the economy could function with wildly fluctuating interest rates like that, or do you think if they tried it again that interest rates wouldn't fluctuate wildly?

Comment

I don't know if you guys read anything more than Spikes thread title. I think you have a wrong impression.
                    No. As I already wrote above, I read the article as well as a a more Iraq-focused article linked to it. In both instances it says nothing about Greenspan stating his personal opinions on the issue, but rather a "declaration" on his part about what the original intentions actually were. That implies that he somehow knows more material facts than those already available to the general public, but you yourself concede that he doesn't.

I can "opine" that the moon is made of green cheese, but I can't "declare" that it is. You're smart enough to know the difference.
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

No.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

He isn't?
                        Unbelievable!

Comment

No. As I already wrote above, I read the article as well as a a more Iraq-focused article linked to it. In both instances it says nothing about Greenspan stating his personal opinions on the issue, but rather a "declaration" on his part about what the original intentions actually were. That implies that he somehow knows more material facts than those already available to the general public, but you yourself concede that he doesn't.

I can "opine" that the moon is made of green cheese, but I can't "declare" that it is. You're smart enough to know the difference.
                          “I am saddened that it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows: the Iraq war is largely about oil,” he says.

I think the writer used inappropriate language.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            No.

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

“I am saddened that it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows: the Iraq war is largely about oil,” he says.

I think the writer used inappropriate language.

ac·knowl·edge
                                [ak-nol-ij]
                                –verb (used with object), -edged, -edg·ing.
                                1. to admit to be real or true; recognize the existence, truth, or fact of
                                Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                                X