X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iphicrates' Reforms

Hello
    Here is one of my latest illustrations

It depicts Greek Light Troops of the early 4th Century BC, the consequence of Iphicrates reforms.
    This began a trend towards the use of more light troops and the change in equipment and tacticts of the Hoplite, leading to Hellenic period style of fighting: the phalanx, for instance.
    Of course artistically comments are also very welcome.
    Many thanks to all
    Best regards
    JP Vieira
    ILLUSTRATION GALLERY at
    http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpos...o/default.aspx

Looks great

What about the spear in the right hand of the Peltast.

Is this his personal melee weapon when all javelins have been thrown? I ask because it is different from the javelins he has behind his shield (having a metal fitting at the lower end and being somewhat longer than the javelins)
    Last edited by Proteus_MST; September 15, 2007, 14:27.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Just a little thing I see now:
      The man in the middle should be a hoplite I assume?

Shouldn´t he then wear greaves? As the lower legs are one of the few parts of the body not protected by the aspis I would assume that greaves were standard hoplite equipment from very early on.
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Hello
        Thank for your reply.
        The foreground figure is a pelstat; the main weapon is spear that he uses to close combat.
        The middle man is a hoplite: he is not wearing greaves because that was one of the modifications introduced by Iphicrates (in order to make his equipment lighter and the soldier more agile).
        Best regards
        JP Vieira
        ILLUSTRATION GALLERY at
        http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpos...o/default.aspx

Comment

Working...
        X