Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is something seriously wrong with law enforcement....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is something seriously wrong with law enforcement....

in Chicago at least:

Chicago Man Sues after Prostitution Arrest

CHICAGO --

It was Rocio Palacios who first noticed the woman who appeared to need help.

It was 8 a.m. when she and her husband, Erasmo, dropped their 6-year-old daughter off at school and had picked up their 22-year-old daughter to go out for breakfast when they saw the woman waving her arms at 53rd Street and Kedzie Avenue last November.

The Palacioses, of Chicago, claim the woman approached their car, parked outside Manolo's restaurant, leaned in to the passenger side where Rocio was sitting and asked Erasmo if he wanted oral sex for $20 or sex for $25.

The couple laughed, realizing this wasn’t a woman in distress after all.

But within seconds, Chicago police swarmed the family car, hauling Erasmo Palacios out in handcuffs. He was charged with solicitation of a prostitute

His daughter, who had just run in to exchange her coffee for a hot chocolate, screamed, while his wife cried in fear.

Eight hours later, Palacios, who has no criminal record, was released from custody. And weeks later, charges against him were dropped.

Now, Erasmo Palacios is suing the city and the officers involved in his arrest, saying they violated his civil rights during an incident he described as both frightening and ridiculous.

“I'm so lucky I was with my wife -- imagine if I had to try to tell her and she wasn't with me,” he said, before laughing at the image. “She'd never believe me. Never.”

A Chicago police report offers few details, saying only that it was Erasmo Palacios who asked for sex, never mentioning his wife in the car or his daughter nearby.

Attorneys Lonny Ben Ogus and Joe Cavanaugh also want to know what happened to the family's 1983 Mercedes. It was impounded that November day and, Palacios said, his wife and daughter were even threatened with arrest as they tried to stop police from taking it, as they were left stranded that morning.

The city wants more than $4,700 in towing and storage fees if he wants the car back.

City officials declined to comment on the status of the family's car and the Palacios case, while the undercover female officer involved in the arrest couldn't be reached.

Copyright 2007, Sun-Times News Group
    http://www.officer.com/web/online/To...ution-Arrest/1$37624

I mean for crying out loud, why can't they just admit on the spot that they've made a mistake, offer their excuses and let the family go

And the city wanting $4,700 for storage and towing. Jesus H. Christ....Chicago: A city where police are allowed to solicit a crime you hadn't intended to commit, and afterwards charge you for storing your car.

Remind me never to go there, please...

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Their story is implausible, why won't the guy admit he wanted a whore?

Comment

Also, if their story is legit, they will get just compensation. No need to whine here. Mistakes happen all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
        Their story is implausible, why won't the guy admit he wanted a whore?
        His wife was in the car and his daughter was nearby. Did he need the whore that badly?
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The Palacios' definately need to sue the City.

Comment

They are and they will get a settlement.

I don't think this indicates something "seriously wrong" with law enforcement. They make mistakes. Why don't you post some threads about some things that law enforcement has done seriously right?

Comment

Something is rotten in teh state of Denmark.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

“I'm so lucky I was with my wife -- imagine if I had to try to tell her and she wasn't with me,” he said, before laughing at the image. “She'd never believe me. Never.”
                Why'd ya marry such a suspicious harpie, then, smart guy?

Anyway, definitely grounds for a suit, and they should make out pretty well. One hopes that officers involved are disciplined (maybe fired).

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Women who nag

Comment

If you don't see this as something "seriously wrong" with law enforcement, then you have something seriously wrong with you.

If the article has the facts right then it is the undercover cop who needs to be jailed.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

A serious problem with law enforcement: cops not protecting people, cops beating/killing/wounding people.

A 7 hour misunderstanding like this that will result in a hefty settlement? Not exactly a big concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                        A serious problem with law enforcement: cops not protecting people, cops beating/killing/wounding people.

A 7 hour misunderstanding like this that will result in a hefty settlement? Not exactly a big concern.
                        If it was you I would expect the whiney thread on it.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

no, but is makes you wonder how big that iceberg really is if they can't even avoid entrapment or false arrests.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

If it was you I would expect the whiney thread on it.
                            If I ever pull over and ask a hooker "Are you alright," you've got a deal.

Comment

I give 'em two weeks.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X