Only a Mere $1200....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only a Mere $1200....

So I'm adopted and I am now on the hunt for my birthparents and while registering with the National Adoption Registry I was pointed in the direction for Omni Search and agency that claims to be able to reunite you with your birth family. The kicker is the price $1200 I suppose for records serches etc...and research you have to pay but man does that seem a bit on the pricey side. I'm trying another route however and hopefully it will pay off and be free. A very close family friend who I used to call Uncle was the attorney that handled the adoption. He has since passed away but his wife is still alive and apparently had something to do with handing me over to my adoptive parents. She may know their names but will probably also have access to his old files from the law office so tommorrow I'm going to call her and see what if anything she remembers or will be willing to tell me.

This was 1960 when the old boy network was definatly in effect. My cousin (who is also a lawyer) made the point today that my adoptive parents had to sign documents swearing to not devulge anything that they knew plus my parents names would have been on those papers. My dad was a soldier in the military. Duty, God, Country. He took an oath to keep a secret and apprarently did to the grave. He did before he died however tell me my family was from Louisanna. It's a start. Hopefully Uncle Warren's wife will not have memory lapse tomorrow. Wish me luck.:desire:
    Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
    Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
    Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
    You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Best of luck, Tia. I'm rooting for you.
    Keep us informed...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Tia, before giving ANY money to these people, please check with the Better Business Bureau or another like-agency. I've tried searching for anything on Teh Intertubeses with regards to complaints against them but haven't found much beyond their website and jobsearch-type sites. The BBB is better equipped to tell you if these people are actually good at what they claim, especially for that price.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Yeah see that's what I was thinking. Since my dad died my cousin who really is more like my brother is always a really good compass for me before I spend a large amount of money. I always check with him. He even thought that was quite alot. Plus they say it will take them probably a year or so. I asked her if they were registered with the BBB and she said they were as well as the Chamber of Commerce so it can't hurt to check it out. But damn! $1200 when you're already in an emotional quandry about doing this in the first place.

While I was talking to her I just burst into tears cause it really hit me that I really might actually after all this time find them. I think probably that one of them at least will be dead due to age etc... and I just felt like half way through the conversation that I wanted to back out. I told her I would let her know. So, it's now 10:58 cst and I am now about to place the call to the woman who may have the answers for me. More then likely I'll be cause she'll be loyal to her husband and to my dad but we'll see. Off I go.
        Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild

Comment

Check out free websites like Zabasearch.com, which can be used to search public records.

Comment

Re: Only a Mere $1200....

Originally posted by Tiamat
            He did before he died however tell me my family was from Louisanna. It's a start.
            So you're a coonass? Is that what you're telling us?
            Evidently so.
            Poor Tiamat. From Texan to coonass in one fell swoop.

Ma'am, I be's suh sawry to heah sech sad noows.

BTW, coonass. It's Louisiana. One "n" and another "i".
            You're pathetic, even for a coonass.

OR, are you saying you're from the line of Louis and Anna?
            That must be it.
            No, you're just validating that you're a coonass.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I view that as a step up.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

That shows how much sense you have.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

You poohead I was born in DALLAS!! So no matter what that makes me 100% pure Texan till the day I die

It's been a very emotional day today. I did speak with the wife of my Uncle and she was very informative. She did not have my mothers name but she told me about the day I was born and the days after. My mother brought me to the car and gave me to my Uncles wife. She was able to describe my mother. She said she has always remembered her porciline skin which for me is a starting point because I've always been teased about being the whitest white girl. I have the same skin as my mother and she remembered how long her fingers were and said she thought to herself that the were piano fingers. I play the piano and have for years as well as sing. The mystery is begining to unravel....

Needless to say this has been a very emotional day. For the first time in 47 years I actually know something about my mother. I'm going to go drink a pitcher of magarita's and cry somemore.

Comment

Cry? Why? Be happy. Good luck with your quest, Tex.

Comment

All the best, Tia

Comment

Re: Only a Mere $1200....

Originally posted by Tiamat
                        Omni Search and agency that claims to be able to reunite you with your birth family. The kicker is the price $1200 I suppose for records serches etc...and research you have to pay but man does that seem a bit on the pricey side.
                        If you decide to go the professional route, actually go to a professional. Hire a reputable private detective. They can do a better job because they will be willing to do more than search some databases and you can probably limit your cash outlay to a few hundred bucks.

How do you find a good private detective? It's easy. Go find a successful divorce lawyer and find out who they use.

Comment

Tia only posts here when she's said, or emotional... I'm beginning to think she's nuts, seeing as it is us who help ground her
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

So you are saying she is feeling very said today?
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I do not you silly little man. I post when I'm not said to. Helloooooooo nurse who works between 75 and 80 hours per week. That doesn't leave much time for posting cause usually when I have down time I'm sleeping.

The crying thing was sorta like letting the dam burst. You picture in your head and imagine how it was what she must have done and felt and what she looked like. You only have your imagination to go by. Even though it's something you want to do it's still, well it's just really weird, very surreal. I haven't decided what to think about it yet.

I didn't think my Tony Danza thread was said but now that you mention it....Tony Danza is pretty sad.
                              Last edited by Tiamat; September 15, 2007, 02:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X