Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KillaCycle claims its first victim...

...its own creator!

Note: The guy is fine, but notice the distinct lack of a helmet or any leather clothing. Two cardinal sins of motorcycling.

Video at link.

TG Video: Electric motorcycle inventor crashes at Wired NextFest

Trendwatch
    By Humphrey Cheung
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 16:49

Los Angeles (CA) – The inventor of the “KillaCycle” electric motorcycle almost killed himself during a demonstration at the Wired NextFest conference. Bill Dube, a government scientist during the day and electric bike builder at night, did a “burn out” in front of the Los Angeles Convention Center, but accidentally accelerated too much and crashed into a Minivan.

Luckily we were able to interview Dube before the crash. He was quite proud of his bike and told us that it was the quickest electric bike in existence. Using A123 Systems lithium-ion batteries, the KillaCycle can go zero to 60 miles-per-hour in a mind numbing .97 seconds. It also has a top speed of 158 MPH.

Dube fatefully told us that the batteries are “more powerful than anything else” on the market. Well they were indeed the most powerful because they hurtled Dube and his bike into another vehicle. You can watch the demonstration and initial interview in the above video.

The crash threw Dube into the air and he landed on his back onto the hot Los Angeles asphalt. Luckily he was conscious, breathing and had feeling in all his fingers and toes. Paramedics from the Los Angeles Fire Department arrived and took Dube to the hospital for x-rays.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Holy **** he's lucky.

Comment

That's why it's appropriate to laugh, all things considered he's fine. Just had the bats in his belfrey disturbed.

Comment

Using A123 Systems lithium-ion batteries, the KillaCycle can go zero to 60 miles-per-hour in a mind numbing .97 seconds. It also has a top speed of 158 MPH.
        This must be a misprint.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Would have been funnier had he died.
          Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

no pic, or are you going to make me click the link

edit: I see, it's a video. I have no idea how to get a still frame from a video. Us old fogies are used to the days of photographs over moving pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

This must be a misprint.
              Watch the video, I assure you it's not. This thing fits the "Crotch Rocket" category to a T, frighteningly so.

Comment

So apparently the throttle got stuck.

But question, why would you do a test run down such a short track? Considering it goes 60mph in under 1 second.

Well, anyway, I guess this is why experienced riders should be the one to showcase new technology. Impressive too, it took off damn fast, if that thing had wings it could probably fly.
                be free

Comment

Or the brakes failed. He didn't use a track because he's not that bright, apparently. Again, notice the lack of even a helmet to protect that empty head of his, or the lack of leather clothing to protect him from road rash. And he did fly ... over the hood and something like 20-30 feet beyond the minivan.

Comment

That's hellacool.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

2/10

Loses points for the landing.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

No way. If he managed to land flat without breaking anything I'd consider the landing "stuck."
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                        X