X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Wants To Go To The Moon by 2012

best well spent ad money ever

Google backs private Moon landing

Search giant Google is offering a $30m prize pot to private firms that land a robot rover on the Moon.

The competition to send a robot craft to the Moon is being run with the X-Prize Foundation.

To claim the cash, any craft reaching the lunar surface must perform a series of tasks such as shoot video and roam for specific distances.

Firms interested in trying for the prize have until the end of 2012 to mount their Moonshot.

High flier

In a statement announcing the competition, Google and the X-Prize Foundation said it had been created in a bid to stimulate research into low-cost robotic exploration of space.

The top prize of $20m will be given to the private firm that soft lands a rover on the Moon which then completes a series of objectives.

These include roaming the lunar surface for at least 500m and gathering a specific set of images, video and data.

A prize of $5m will be given to the second firm that manages to reach the Moon with a rover that roams the surface and shoots some pictures.

Google said it would give bonuses of $5m if the rovers complete other objectives such as travelling further on the Moon, taking pictures of Apollo hardware, finding water-ice and surviving the freezing lunar night.

Rovers taking part must be fitted with high-definition video and still cameras.

"We are confident that teams from around the world will help develop new robotic and virtual presence technology, which will dramatically reduce the cost of space exploration," said Dr Peter Diamandis, chairman of the X-Prize Foundation in a statement.

Great test

The $20m prize will be on offer until 2012. After that a smaller sum of $15m will be offered and, if the cash goes unclaimed, the competition will end in 2014.

Sending a robot rover to the Moon is a formidable task - involving far greater hurdles than the first X-Prize competition. Indeed, sending any sort of craft to the Moon would normally require the funding support of national or international space agencies.

The prize is the third offered and administered by the X-Prize Foundation.

The first was run to encourage private space travel. The $10m (£4.9m) Ansari-sponsored prize was won in October 2005 when the SpaceShipOne rocket plane climbed to an altitude of 100km twice inside seven days.

In October 2006, the X-Prize Foundation created the $10m Archon X-Prize for Genomics, which will be given to the first private research group to sequence 100 human genomes in 10 days.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...gy/6993373.stm
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

We already did that. By we I mean the US.

Comment

Shouldn't be that hard, really.

The article says nothing about having to blast off from Earth, and escaping the Earth's gravity well is 95% of the effort. Under these rules, the rover can hitch a ride on the European rocket or a Russian rocket or a private rocket.

With a lengthy 5-year time deadline, there's no hurry. So a little rocket could push then push it on its sluggish way and then retro-fire it down to the moon's surface.

The real challenge will be to build a rover that can survive the moon's vacuum and extreme temperatures.

And there's no requirement that we bring the rover back to Earth, like we had to do with those astronauts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
        We already did that. By we I mean the US.
        And what have we done there since the Apollo missions? Private companies on the moon will mean the start of new industries.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Zkribbler -

...and how much do you think all that might cost?

I doubt you will get a "free" lift into space, and developing the rover might cost a few $$.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I read somewhere that it takes $1,000,000 / pound to boost something into orbit. So, it won't be cheep.

--but wait -- didn't that millionaire get into orbit on a Russian rocket for just $22 million?

Even at that price, the best the winner can hope for is to break even financially and get bragging rights.

Comment

I'm sure it can be done.

Break even would be pretty cool if you get to brag I guess.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

And what have we done there since the Apollo missions? Private companies on the moon will mean the start of new industries.
                Doing what? Selling moon rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                  Doing what? Selling moon rocks?
                  *blink blink* yes. Especially selling "moon rocks" to people that might want to build things in space, thus eliminating the need to get raw materials off of the Earth.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Moon rocks aren't very valuable except maybe on eBay. That's why there aren't dozens of companies harvesting them now, please check your facts before posting.

Comment

Does the moon's surface provide anything readily useful resource wise?
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

It'd be a great place for a cottage. Just let the inlaws and distant relatives try and find you there.

Comment

Does the moon's surface provide anything readily useful resource wise?
                          Of course not. Lorizael can *blink blink* all he wants, he is being silly like a clown.

Comment

Wikipedia says:

One suggested candidate is Helium-3 from the solar wind, which has accumulated on the Moon's surface over billions of years, and which is rare on Earth. Helium is present in the lunar regolith in quantities of ten to a hundred (weight) parts per million, and 0.003 to 1 percent of this amount (depending on soil). 2006 market price for He3 was about $46,500 per troy ounce ($1500/gram, $1.5M/kg), more than 120 times the value per unit weight of Gold and over eight times the value of Rhodium.

Comment

Conveniently you left this out:

Exporting material to Earth in trade from the Moon is more problematic due to the high cost of transportation
                              Whatever the value of all that helium is, it apparently isn't worth the few million it would take to extract it and fly it back.

As to possible benefits of this Helium:

In the long term future He3 may prove to be a desirable fuel in thermonuclear fusion reactors.
                              But again, costs way outweigh benefits at this point so no, it isn't as if the moon is a great opportunity for private industry.

It's good for helium extraction in a few decades, that's it. There are no other entries or possible benefits listed in that article.
                              Last edited by Wiglaf; September 13, 2007, 16:05.

Comment

Working...
                              X