Imagine if we had destroyed the world during the cold war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeBro

Well, the "was technologically advanced and destroyed themselves" thing is not an unknown topic in scifi.
    For sure, but a real life example would be worth quite a few notches on the belt.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

What would be even MORE head trippy is if we found evidence that they had infact existed for ~5-20 million years (average age for any species on earth to live) and never archived space travel or other futuristic gee-wiz technologies. That would basically say that this level were at now is the high water mark and no singularity is on its way. That would be rather depressing if you ask me, fortunately its extremely unlikely if you ask me.
      Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

I don't think we'd call it the cold war anymore.
        APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

This happens to me, too. My theory is that time travelers from the future take my famous ideas, travel into the past, and give those ideas to other people before I come up with them in order to make sure I never become famous. I'm still working out the why on this, though...
          Jealous! They're jealous I say!

Back on topic: In reality I think we are the first. I mean the first in the universe. We are the aliens that are going to travel to other planets and kidnap and do sexual expierments on some poor inferior species.
          EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

They would think "Third times the charm on trying to kill off a species"

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
              What would be even MORE head trippy is if we found evidence that they had infact existed for ~5-20 million years (average age for any species on earth to live) and never archived space travel or other futuristic gee-wiz technologies. That would basically say that this level were at now is the high water mark and no singularity is on its way. That would be rather depressing if you ask me, fortunately its extremely unlikely if you ask me.
              even without super tech we could, at great and I do mean great expense, build up infrastructure and go out to the other planets in the solar system.

That could throw a monkey wrench into the works of a lot of people's thinking, not just religious. The evolution theorists would have a fun time explaining this race and we'd have to see if there is a link between this first species and us. Religious people might not have that hard of a time as you think explaining it away though. People would probably say this is merely the first tribes of man, that Adam is probably from this race. Maybe claim these are the people who didn't survive the flood. "oh ya, we've know about these people all along. It's in the Bible ya know. You scientists can't teach us anything new." Of course this is assuming the previous species looks anything remotely like us. It'd be a bit tougher if they are like lizard people or blobs.
              Extinction level events would explain what happened to the previous group so evolution wouldn't be as troubled by it.

And god of course smote their heathen asses so not so much trouble for the religious either.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                Perhaps we are actually overachievers though...

"Wow! Look what these puny humans were able to accomplish without telepathic powers! I can't even make myself coffee without telepathy!"
                it's telekinetic or whatever
                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                Middle East!

Comment

Re: Imagine if we had destroyed the world during the cold war

Originally posted by Lancer
                  Space aliens come along and look at the trashed planet, what they would think of us.
                  Hoboken just got bigger.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

-->history subforum

Comment

Working...
                      X