X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dip the apple in the honey.

Shana Tova!

Happy New Year, Jewish posters!

And Happy New Millennium, Ethiopian posters!
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Jews aren't really the celebratory type, you know. Except in the, "Yay, our people haven't been annihilated yet!" kind of way.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
        Jews aren't really the celebratory type, you know.
        Someone needs to get out more. Im not sure whether to point you towards obnoxious bourgeois bar mitzvah parties, toward hassidic weddings (which routinely run till 3AM), towards simchat torah anywhere, or whatever.

Rosh Hashanah is more subdued, but we DO have a festive meal, including the noted challah and honey, apples and honey, and a new fruit (and in some communities, a head of a fish, and in some sephardic communities, a head of a lamb, IIUC)

Thanks to all.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
          Someone needs to get out more. Im not sure whether to point you towards obnoxious bourgeois bar mitzvah parties, toward hassidic weddings (which routinely run till 3AM), towards simchat torah anywhere, or whatever.

Rosh Hashanah is more subdued, but we DO have a festive meal, including the noted challah and honey, apples and honey, and a new fruit (and in some communities, a head of a fish, and in some sephardic communities, a head of a lamb, IIUC)

Thanks to all.
          I'm just making light of a stereotype.

But more to the point, one of things I like about Judaism (and not Catholicism - the other religion in my family) is that when a holiday comes around, Jews are paying attention to the meaning of the day (which might be rather serious at times) and Christians are paying attention to the presents.

Anyways, this is an even broader and ruder generalization on my part, so I'm going to dip out before the retaliatory flaming begins.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
          X