Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sexism, or just a skilled use of language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexism, or just a skilled use of language?

Sometimes I wonder if something is sexist, or if it's just a way of saying something.

One Hindi (and Sanskrit) word for a woman is "Abala" (अबला), which literally translates to "one without physical strength". "Bala", by default, without any qualifiers, refers to physical strength, and the prefixed "A" means "without", or "devoid of".

One thing I noticed while reading the Mahabharat (in its Hindi translation) it that the author uses this word when he wants to be sympathetic to the woman in question. Usually, it's used either when describing a woman who was a victim of something, or in a bad spot, or whenever he wants us to feel sympathy for the character. For instance, Krishna uses it when he refers to two women from the Yadava clan who were abducted by and forced to marry Kamsa (a thoroughly despicable guy all round).

I have seen it being used, in general, whenever the author wants to build the reader's sympathy for the character being described as such, when he wants us to empathise with how they feel. It is not used for strong-willed or independent women, such as Kunti or Draupadi (though it could be used for the latter during her humiliation at the hands of Dushasana, because then she could not resist their attempts to disrobe her, purely because she was physically weaker, and it was Krishna's intervention that saved her).

One thing to note here is that books in India are not supposed to be read only for their content - they are also supposed to make you feel something. That is why immense time and effort is expended into building characters up into believable people, where even the best have flaws, so that we can identify with and share the emotions of the characters we like (that's probably why the book is 1,00,000+ verses long). So if the use of this word builds sympathy and compassion for the character in the mind of the reader, and that is what the author intended, that is a plus point.

I have to admit that as a literary device, it works. I do feel more deeply for the characters when words with the right connotation like this are used judiciously in the right places.

And I haven't come across even one instance of it being used as a form of abuse, or as a taunt. In fact, men who did use it what way would be given very dirty looks, both in those times and much more so today.

On the other hand, it is still a word that technically applies to all women, even though it's use is usually very context specific.

So is this sexist? Or is it simply a literary device? Or is it both?

Re: Sexism, or just a skilled use of language?

Originally posted by aneeshm
    and the prefixed "A" means "without", or "devoid of".
    This is true in Latin as well. Is this a simple coincidence or is there a linguistic relation between the two languages that I am unaware of?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Re: Re: Sexism, or just a skilled use of language?

Originally posted by Lorizael

This is true in Latin as well. Is this a simple coincidence or is there a linguistic relation between the two languages that I am unaware of?
      Srsly?
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Re: Re: Sexism, or just a skilled use of language?

Originally posted by Lorizael

Just checked the Wiki.

Both fall within the Indo-European family.

Comment

Well, yeah. The Indo-European family is kind of big, though. *shrug* whatever.

Uh, no, I don't think it's sexist.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Considering the rep in that part of the world and the rep of the Old World as a whole, it probably is sexist, but to be fair, I'd have to investigate a bit more.

Just how many Hindi words are there for woman? How many are there for man?

Does any Hindi word for man translate into something offensive or demeaning?

The word woman is supposed to mean "from man". Is there a Hindi word that has similar meaning?

What I'm getting at is how does the literary depiction of women compare to the depiction of men?
            EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

I'd say its sexist... even if it is a literary device.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Could you use it to describe a man without physical strength?
                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Shrapnel12

Just how many Hindi words are there for woman? How many are there for man?
                  There are three I can remember:

Stri and nari are the usual ones - usable anywhere.

Abala, as noted earlier, is usually context-specific - not used as part of normal speech.

I can remember only one word for man - purush.

Does any Hindi word for man translate into something offensive or demeaning?
                  I don't recollect any.

The word woman is supposed to mean "from man". Is there a Hindi word that has similar meaning?
                  No.

What I'm getting at is how does the literary depiction of women compare to the depiction of men?
                  I seriously have no clue.

The key characters are, without exception and gender bias, all very strong (character-wise, not necessarily physically).

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                    Could you use it to describe a man without physical strength?
                    No, you can't, because words have a gender.

But you can use another word, like durbal or balaheen.

Comment

I think that the author is well aware that he is writing for a sexist audience and thus uses those words.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

So far it's looking more sexist then anything.
                        EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

I think it's sexy.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                            I think that the author is well aware that he is writing for a sexist audience and thus uses those words.
                            The expected audience was, admittedly, pretty sexist by modern standards.

However, the this was a part of life, so I don't think the author actually intentionally did it, he did it naturally, without being conscious of it.

Comment

So acknowledging slightly greater physical strength is sexist?

It sounds like from the OP that the intended meaning is that the ''without strength'' females were so because they were without power over themselves, like a slave. So that strength would mean the ability to effect change. just imo
                              A ship at sea is its own world. To be the captain of a ship is to be the unquestioned ruler of that world and requires all of the leadership skills of a prince or minister.

Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing, sooner than war

Comment

Working...
                              X