Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people place such importance on sports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people place such importance on sports?

So I see an advertisement for a videotape/dvd of the 77 Yankees world series, and I think, who really cares? Was there something significant about that world series? Yankees have won so many. why would I buy something to see 70's mustaches and hairdos?

When it really comes down to it, yankees winning the world series in 77 means absolutely nothing. The same can be said about "world" championships today.

It may have a little more significance if the team has only one once, or it was a particularly good game. I look back at the Namath superbowl win where he guaranteed victory, but it really didn't look like that great of a game. I have no desire to "buy" it.

All sports is, is just a way to pass the time. Yet some people are so fanatical about it. Sure I hope the Chargers win the superbowl this year, but if they don't, who cares. I just like to see it because I hate seeing the same teams win year after year.

Sports are bloodless (at least msot of the time) wars.

In the past there was much more violence, a Madrid vs Barcelona match, or Boca vs River, awakens the same passions in common people as wars between cities which hate each other, or countries which hate each other.

Sports are a necessity for that
    I need a foot massage

Comment

Re: Why do people place such importance on sports?

Originally posted by Dis
      why would I buy something to see 70's mustaches and hairdos?
      Because you watch so much 70's pr0n?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
        Sports are bloodless (at least msot of the time) wars.
        This is part of it. Also, people like games, and games shared by thousands or millions invoke special passions.

Speaking of which, it's the North London Derby on saturday. HUGE game, with major bragging rights at stake. Come on you Gunners!

Comment

What was the game in Scotland between catholics and protestants?
          I need a foot massage

Comment

The Old Firm Derby - Celtic v Rangers.

Comment

Cheerleaders + Beer consumption - Wife interaction = Sports!

Comment

and my main problem with television broadcasts is they don't show enough cheerleaders. they need to show those every time a play isn't going on in the field. I can care less what the coaches reaction is on a bad play or touchdown. I want to see the reaction of the cheerleaders breasts to this event.

Comment

human achievement

Comment

so if sports are a bloodless war and we make that analogy, why not send cheerleaders to baghad to cheer our troops on? Or are cheerleaders meant for the fans, not the players? In that case Fox news needs to have cheerleaders to encourage the gullible republicans into supporting the war. .

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                      and my main problem with television broadcasts is they don't show enough cheerleaders. they need to show those every time a play isn't going on in the field. I can care less what the coaches reaction is on a bad play or touchdown. I want to see the reaction of the cheerleaders breasts to this event.
                      Well, that would be a reason to buy 70s (American) football, wouldn't it?
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I once had a sports fan explain it to me:

The rest of the newspaper is about man's failures. The sports page is about man's successes.

Comment

Why do people place such importance on sports?
                          it's a life-filler...
                          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: Why do people place such importance on sports?

Originally posted by Dis
                            So I see an advertisement for a videotape/dvd of the 77 Yankees world series, and I think, who really cares? Was there something significant about that world series? Yankees have won so many. why would I buy something to see 70's mustaches and hairdos?

When it really comes down to it, yankees winning the world series in 77 means absolutely nothing. The same can be said about "world" championships today.

It may have a little more significance if the team has only one once, or it was a particularly good game. I look back at the Namath superbowl win where he guaranteed victory, but it really didn't look like that great of a game. I have no desire to "buy" it.

All sports is, is just a way to pass the time. Yet some people are so fanatical about it. Sure I hope the Chargers win the superbowl this year, but if they don't, who cares. I just like to see it because I hate seeing the same teams win year after year.
                            Just a guess, you saw the ad on ESPN right?

If you did it's because of the show "The Bronx is Burning" which is about the '77 Yankees, IIUC.

Case closed.

Next!

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                              I once had a sports fan explain it to me:

The rest of the newspaper is about man's failures. The sports page is about man's successes.
                              Not if you get your sports from the WaPo.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X