• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fan belt came off

Explorers suck
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

lol My '92 has never done that; yours just hates you. LOL
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Did it's pants fall down?

Sorry.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Did it break or just come off?

If it just came off, it's easy to fix. You should see a bolt that hold down a pulley-type wheel around which the belt turns. Thus pulley wheel sits is a slot. The slot is so that the position of the wheel can be adjusted.

You can loosen this bolt to move the wheel so that you can first put the belt back into place. Then move the wheel to tighten up tension on the belt so it doesn't come off again. Finally, tighten up the bolt. It's easy.

If the belt actually broke, buy a new one, and then do the steps above to install it.

Comment

Well it came off, but it doesn't make sense because they aren't supposed to come off with Explorers unless they break. So it must be broken.
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

replacing a fan belt is a 10-15 minute job. getting to a position where you are able to do this, on the other hand...
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
              Well it came off, but it doesn't make sense because they aren't supposed to come off with Explorers unless they break. So it must be broken.
              The tension on it wasn't adjusted properly.

If you notice that each of the wheels it runs around have a ridge on each side to keep it in its grove. If the tension isn't enuf, then the belt can run up over that ridge and jump the track.

Comment

It was fine for the past 8 years though...how did it only now come off?

Comment

Maintenance negligence?
                  He who knows others is wise.
                  He who knows himself is enlightened.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                    Maintenance negligence?

Comment

it's tangled very badly

Comment

I really hates you.

I hope you're not trying to salvage the damaged belt. Cut the thing off and replace it with a new belt already.

Comment

I am just going to call AAA tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                            It was fine for the past 8 years though...how did it only now come off?
                            I'll bet viabrations caused the bolt to loosen, alowing the wheel to slip.

I am just going to call AAA tomorrow.
                            Good idea.

Comment

You really shouldn't waste a call to AAA. If I'm not mistaken, you're only allowed a few service calls (2?) in a one year period. Better to save them for when you ACTUALLY need them. Changing your belt is one of the easier things to do sans mechanic, like changing your tires.

Just checked their website. For the California region (in which Nevada is included) it looks like you get 4 calls before they start getting pissy. They'll cancel you after 7 in a one year period or after 12 in a 2 year period. That's crap.

Apoc, just get a buddy to help you, preferably one who knows more than you do about maintaining a vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X