Poly plots Koy's next few years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly plots Koy's next few years

By way of backstory, I graduated in May and am currently working on a grant for my former adviser that goes through the end of next year. During my capstone class, I noticed that a lot of people were having similar problems and eventually decided it was a result of the curriculum missing a few important pieces. Since I was still semi-attached to the department, I designed a course to fill in those gaps and pitched it to the faculty. It was intended to be an elective for just the people who needed it, but after one meeting it's now turned into something that may be a required course for all students in the major.

After that meeting, the department chair (completely out of the blue) offered me a graduate assistantship, and this is where the problem comes in. Grad school is not something that I had planned on doing any time soon...for health and financial reasons I was limited to 2-3 classes a semester during most of my time as an undergrad, and it takes a very long time to graduate at six credits a semester. While a masters is something that I might want to go after eventually, I don't know that I want to do it this soon...thought the fact that I wouldn't have to pay for it is pretty decent incentive.

Assistantships here entail paid tuition, insurance, and a stipend which is fairly decent if you actually consider it a 20hr/wk job, but given that I've been doing independent contracting in addition to the grant it would be a substantial pay cut at a time when I've spent a long time in school (and thus debt) and am ready to get on with my life. In a lot of ways it would be a step backward because I've been working in the field the entire time I was a student and have some decent professional traction there. I've been in delayed gratification mode for quite a while, really, just waiting for the pieces to come together. On the other hand, a masters is probably worth more in the long run, particularly since I'd probably be going from a new media BA (a what now?) to a comp sci MS.

So those are my options: getting on with life and continuing to do project-based work, or taking a detour that pushes real life back another couple years but may give me a leg up once I do get going.
    Indentured servitude is good for you!
    45.45%
    Nobody cares about the paper, just go mercenary!
    18.18%
    Start a banana plantation
    36.36%
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

I voted be a slave for a while longer.

The added credentials could have a significant impact later on in life.

Personally, it would come down to.. is it fun? Do it. Is it a drag that you would have to force yourself to do? Skip it and go make web sites in San Jose.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'd much rather be doing the masters work really. There are more creative options there, and I'm not a big fan of producing cookie-cutter apps. But I have a fiancee who has been ridiculously patient about the whole wedding thing, and it would be nice to improve our financial situation in general. I'd enjoy the work a lot more, but the rest of life for those two years would most likely be better if I was just working.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Ask your lady this question and do whatever she says.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

So what do fish have to do with this thread?
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
            Ask your lady this question and do whatever she says.
            She also sees both sides of it and is, er, not what you'd call decisive.

Comment

Your better half will support you if you make the decision you want to make, regardless which one it turns out to be. Make the decision yourself. This way it'll be the right one and you'll have no regrets about it.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Go with the future, take the school job. Life turns out to be fairly long usually. While it might be exciting to get on with life, when you get started and the routine your looking forward to starts, it can get tedious. There are alot of days ahead, days into weeks, weeks to months, months to years. Lots of those. Now you have a chance to do something which will give you room to manouver later. So later when the routine gets too much you have more choices.

Comment

Also, there's lots of smart people out there. There's alot less smart people that have that paper.

Comment

Working...
                  X