Help me with a chemistry problem(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with a chemistry problem(?)

It's been about a million years since I've solved one of these so the method by which to do so has slipped into the mists of time.

Anyway, say you have a solution of 30%x and 70%y, totaling 30L. You want to make it a 50% solution. How many liters would you have to drain off and top up with x in order to get it to 50%?

I know I'll smack myself in the head once someone posts the solution.

Edit: You want to end up with 30L of 50% solution.
    Last edited by LotC; September 8, 2007, 15:20.

You have 9l of x, 21l of y, and you want 15l of x/15l of y. Every litre you drain loses you 0.3l of x and 0.7l of y. If you drain 8.57 (6/0.7) litres of solution, you end up with 15l of y. Now fill teh solution with 8.57l of x.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

That's chemistry?
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

You start with a solution containing 9 liters x and want the final solution to contain 15 liters x.

For each liter you replace, you remove 0.3 liters x and add 1 liter x.

The amount you need to replace is z liters, which means: 9 - 0.3z + z = 15 -> z = 8.57

Edit: LS gets the cookie
        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
          That's chemistry?
          No, I suppose it's not.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid

Edit: LS gets the cookie
            You both get my sympathy. They both make me hurt just to read them.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's more basic maths then chemistry.
              Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Teh SuperShiva

I'm just wondering if LotC is a relative of LOTM
                Blah

Comment

If you actually worked in a lab you'd just make the 50% solution. Did some science teacher call that chemistry? Bah!
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                  X