Civilization: The Board Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization: The Board Game

I was fortunate enough to pick up a copy of the Gibson's Games version of 'Civilization', the board game.

Has anyone else here played it and if so, what were your experiences of it ?
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

I still have it, but I haven´t played it for ages (having bought it at a time, when there was no computer civ yet)
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
      I still have it, but I haven´t played it for ages (having bought it at a time, when there was no computer civ yet)
      Didja like it ?

Was the gameplay smooth and enjoyable ?

I briefly glanced through the rule book and it seemed over-complicated, but as it cost me only £ 1.00 I'm not complaining just yet.

The board mis-spells 'Aleppo' too...

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I for my part liked it,
        but you should carefully select the players.
        The rules are initially a little bit complicated to learn, so it isn´t something for the casual board gamer who wants a quick game without much thinking
        but people who like civilization style games on PC (I assume most people on apolyton ) and the classical ages will very probably like it.

AFAIK there were also expansion packs available that add more trading cards and the like (but I don´t haver any of them, just the basic game like yourself)
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

This is a very good game, but Advanced Civ, a slightly updated version of the game, is better. This game is so good that even though it takes an entire day to play, you and your group of friends will consider it the game of choice for a good ten or fifteen years.

After ten or fifteen years, however, you may notice that some patterns start to, ah, repeat, and you may need to find another game.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Thank you both for your comments- very much appreciated.

Comment

I even made my own expansion for the advanced version

German only, however, but you get the idea.

"The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
              "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I only played once that I recall, and not very well, as it was the [last] time I ate hash brownies.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Let me guess: You played the Afghans, with the black tokens?
                  "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                  "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Working...
                  X