No announcement yet.

Woman fired for talking back to her boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The company's policy held that a "first contradiction of superiors" would incur a fine of 30 yuan ($4), a second would incur 100 yuan, and a third would warrant dismissal, the agency said.
    The word is 'seniors', never let people use 'superiors' to you in that context.

Comment

Disagreeing with your boss and insubordination are two different things.

I can disagree with an employer but if the employer insists that I do something (work related) I can be fired if I refuse.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
        To put this into perspective, consider this:
        You work in an architectural firm as a draftsman. You're happily drawing lines when your boss (the architect) pops into your little draft space and tells you to sign off on some architectural blueprints. You say no because you're not the licensed architect here, she is. She is not amused and warns you that you're fired if you don't. You begrudgingly comply.

Congratulations, you've both just committed a serious crime. It is illegal to impersonate an architect in the United States. After the Great Fire of Chicago in 1871 and the 1906 San Fransisco Earthquake, the building industry put its foot down and got serious about organizing standard building codes, as well as about who could design buildings. Nowadays, there are serious legal consequences for violations of this system of rules and regulations because such violations threaten public health and safety. Architects go through extensive education and must become licensed before practicing, much like doctors must. A draftsman simply hasn't had as much education, nor gone through the heavy testing to earn a license. In 2005, Illinois slapped a $250,000 fine on one guy who forged the name of a dead architect for several different projects. Today, Frank Lloyd Wright would face similar legal troubles as he was never licensed.
        The reason why doctors and architects have to be licensed doesn't have much to do with public safety. Almost every profession tries to protect itself from competition in order to be able to sell their services for more money. One popular way to achieve that is via "licensing". Now, not many professions manage to do this easily. If dish washers tried to push through legislation that required every dish washer in a restaurant to be licensed they would be laughed out of the parliament. Doctors and architects, however, have the powerful "public safety" phrase to help them and they suceed.

This is basic stuff. Haven't you read "Capitalism and freedom"?

Comment

That doctors and architects use that excuse to another end doesn't make it a bad reason in itself.

Comment

No, it doesn't. However, most people even today when looking for a doctor try to find one through friends or friends' friends or some other recommendation. It's hard to prove that market couldn't take care of the "witchdoctor" problem all by itself using the mechanism of reputation/track record.

Comment

That's a non sequiter. If there wasn't a certifying authority for some minimum competence, basing everything on personal references would cause the witchdoctor problem.

People are not capable of doing statistics through anecdote.

Comment

If there wasn't a certifying authority for some minimum competence, basing everything on personal references would cause the witchdoctor problem.

Nah. Most of the market operates without anyone guaranteeing a minimum of anything and there is no real difference between buying a car or an Xbox and buying services of a doctor.

Comment

Your trust in the marketplace and in referrals is somewhat Pollyannish. While both are helpful, neither can take the place of education and licensing.

When the Whittiers Narrow Earthquake hit here, the only fatality in all of Los Angeles was a previous survivor of the Managua Earthquake. He assumed buildings in L.A. were built like buildings in Managua and would therefore collapsed. So he jumped out a window to his death. Licenced architects

For years, my brother was the largest chiropractor in Hawaii. Although he got a lot of referrals, the majority of patients he got through is ad in the Yellow Pages.
                  License healthcare providers

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    Your trust in the marketplace and in referrals is somewhat Pollyannish.
                    Your trust in anecdotal evidence is unsurprising.

When the Whittiers Narrow Earthquake hit here, the only fatality in all of Los Angeles was a previous survivor of the Managua Earthquake. He assumed buildings in L.A. were built like buildings in Managua and would therefore collapsed. So he jumped out a window to his death. Licenced architects

When the Kobe earthquake struck, 6000 people died and Japan also has licenced architects

For years, my brother was the largest chiropractor in Hawaii. Although he got a lot of referrals, the majority of patients he got through is ad in the Yellow Pages.

Dr. Death was licenced

Anecdotal evidence

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Licensed dubious healthcare providers.

If we licence the witch doctor does that make him legit?
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                        If there wasn't a certifying authority for some minimum competence, basing everything on personal references would cause the witchdoctor problem.

Nah. Most of the market operates without anyone guaranteeing a minimum of anything and there is no real difference between buying a car or an Xbox and buying services of a doctor.
                        There are entire industries devoted to reviewing those products. You can't have an industry devoted to reviewing each and every doctor.

The whole problem is that the patients have no way of evaluating the real merits of their physician.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

There are entire industries devoted to reviewing those products. You can't have an industry devoted to reviewing each and every doctor.
                          Why not? Of course you can. But to pick a doctor you don't have to know merits of each and every medicine practicing individual. You can choose to trust people you know or some authority - say, a medical school.

The whole problem is that the patients have no way of evaluating the real merits of their physician.
                          You can't really know if your car was well built either, or that food you are buying is safe. You rely on other people's opinions for a lot of things you buy.

Comment

Why not? Of course you can.

Because there are a lot more doctors than consumer products and it's inherently more difficult to test a doctor's skill than the performance of a car or game console.

Comment

You can't really know if your car was well built either

You mean apart from large surveys done on the performance and durability of automobiles?

or that food you are buying is safe.

You mean apart from FDA regulations?

You rely on other people's opinions for a lot of things you buy.

Yes, I rely on the opinions of consumer watch groups or federal regulatory agencies or, in the case of doctors, diplomas from accredited medical schools and a state license to practice.

Comment

Working...
                              X