No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to domed cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naw, the smog's supposed to be really bad.

Comment

Thats what the dome is for
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

We do live in domes... they just call it Wifi service areas, instead of dome
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Missile shields???
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

It sounds like a significant structural problem to build a dome that would support itself over an entire city. You'd need to have a really good reason for it. If you just wanted a gigantic enclosed living environment you could more easily build the "city" as one colossal building, no?
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Caves of Steel
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Those really neat incrementally faster moving pedestrian sidewalk things
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I remember when folks said wed have portable communicating devices we'd carry everywhere.

And back in the 1965 worlds fair, I think it was, ATT showed off a picture phone, which idea Kubrick picked up on.

Silly Sci fi authors.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                    I also remember those visions from the 1950ies or so where everyone had flying cars in 2000.....
                    Which are powerred by small nuclear powerplants.

Good thing the predictions didn´t come true
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                      Yeah, but my favorite were the nuclear-powered toasters.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

Good thing the predictions didn´t come true
                        And we think the problems with car accidents are bad now.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

And we think the problems with car accidents are bad now.
                          Traffic Report:

There's been an accident on the 5 Freeway. There's no traffic tie up, however, because every vehicle within a 5 mile radius has been vaporized.

Comment

I look forward to the wonders of cold fusion.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Whatever happened to domed cities

The Window Cleaners' Association has been pushing for them for ages, but so far their lonely struggle has been in vain.

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X