No announcement yet.

What polytubbies always suspected: "Mental health neglected worldwide"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go ahead and ignore me then, because I'm discussing the thread topic, not your political agenda.
    EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Shrapnel12
        I'm serious that things other countries do as a normal part of their life would get you commited in Western civilization. So the question is sincere. How do you determine who is mentally ill in such countries? Who's really doing the trolling here?
        "In my country, we kill the insane."
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Pedophilia, sexual assualt, self harming, (serious autism combined with other problems), constant death threats...all that will get you sectioned under the Mental Health Act in the UK.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

The best thing is, if you are judged to be incapable of being able to make critical life decisions without assistance you will at the very least have a carer in the community whom you will see once a day, though most people will be placed in secure environments.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Mental Health Act in the U.K. If you commit those crimes, are you still put in jail, or institutionalized?

Comment

Problem is, Abraham and Moses and Jehovah and Mohammed and Allah would all qualify as sociopaths by the standards we're using now (Jesus would be an exception, though).

Comment

Why would that be a problem?
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Let me ask you this - would a person who celebrates female genital mutilation, and invites people to watch, be called "normal" by our terms?

EDIT: Crosspost.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                      Why would that be a problem?
                      It won't be a problem as such, but lots of people have a problem with anything that shows them like that. And those people also have a lot of power, so.......

Comment

Bah, who isn't mentally diseased. I mean seriously, we're all pretty ****ed up in the head. Most of us just manage to stifle those genocidal urges that pop up from time to time, right?

Comment

If you commit any of those crimes, it goes through the civil courts, but the perpetrator of those acts can be placed into a mental hospital (varying in size, but rarely more than 80 patients to a hospital IIRC) if they are deemed to have a mental illness that causes them to do thoses acts. You find people who are borderline, and on the last day of a sentance find out they are going to be sectionned, because it is possible to section someone indefinately under the MHA without ever going to court, so long as the doctors responsible for them think that they will not be safe out in the community (or others would not be safe from them...).

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                            Bah, who isn't mentally diseased. I mean seriously, we're all pretty ****ed up in the head. Most of us just manage to stifle those genocidal urges that pop up from time to time, right?
                            So again, I wonder how they counted the number of mentally ill.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                              If you commit any of those crimes, it goes through the civil courts, but the perpetrator of those acts can be placed into a mental hospital (varying in size, but rarely more than 80 patients to a hospital IIRC) if they are deemed to have a mental illness that causes them to do thoses acts. You find people who are borderline, and on the last day of a sentance find out they are going to be sectionned, because it is possible to section someone indefinately under the MHA without ever going to court, so long as the doctors responsible for them think that they will not be safe out in the community (or others would not be safe from them...).
                              I wonder how they determine that one pedophile should go to a mental hospital and how another should go to prison. Still, maybe this is a better system then the U.S. letting all their pedophiles out again to menace the public further.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrapnel12
                                So again, I wonder how they counted the number of mentally ill.
                                Ever heard of the DSM-IV?

Comment

Working...
                                X