Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're all going to die! (euros only)

Market Crash Forecast Suggests New 9/11
    Mystery trader bets on huge downturn that could only be preceded by catastrophe

A mystery trader risks losing around $1 billion dollars after placing 245,000 put options on the Dow Jones Eurostoxx 50 index, leading many analysts to speculate that a stock market crash preceded by a new 9/11 style catastrophe could take place within the next month.

The anonymous trader only stands to make money if the market crashes by a third to a half before September 21st, which is when the put options expire. A put option is a financial contract between two parties, the buyer and the writer (seller) of the option, in which the buyer stands to benefit only if the price of the asset falls.

"The sales are being referred to by market traders as "bin Laden trades" because only an event on the scale of 9-11 could make these short-sell options valuable," reports financial blogger Marc Parent. Online Financial News first reported on the story.

Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

OMG! Run away!!
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I've been reading comments on this and this is nothing unusual, most likely some big owner or a fund hedging their situation so to speak. The bet is not over a billion, since basically you get very big odds on your money since such a drop is so unlikely, in other words the money risked is nowhere near a billion.

I have no idea how this thing works exactly but it was explained to me and debunked by a person who seemed to. And the original version of the rumour said the "bet" was almost four and a half billion.

The first link also trots out the urban legend that put options were taken right before 9/11 by insiders who had foreknowledge of the attack.
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I've already read about this thing on several serious forums. Including a forum of traders who are also wondering what this is about.

Comment

At worst, the guy's probably just some rich, paranoid schizo. Gee we don't get many of those in this country.
          EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

It's just a hedge. Nothing to worry about.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Says a guy in a ski mask.
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Terrorist: "All is fine, don't stay home, just go to work in your sky scrapers "

Comment

This is also a unique method for two guys to transfer apparently legally a great amount of money which is due by one to the other for illegal reason (racket, blackmail, game debt, or ransom).
                  Statistical anomaly.
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

al Qaeda has nowhere near $1 billion in assets.

So, it's probably some nut job with more dollars than sense.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
                      This is also a unique method for two guys to transfer apparently legally a great amount of money which is due by one to the other for illegal reason (racket, blackmail, game debt, or ransom).
                      I would accept that if it didn't cover 9-11

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                        Terrorist: "All is fine, don't stay home, just go to work in your sky scrapers "
                        Actually, by definition, a terrorist wants you to be afraid.

Comment

I think we should stop calling the terrorists and start calling the nuisanceists... doesn't quite roll of the tongue as much, but might make them less appealing to disgruntled postal workers
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

I would accept that if it didn't cover 9-11
                            Such abnormal operation appear quite frequently. If you follow the daily list of all operations for all shares and index, you will find bizarre ones several times a year.
                            Statistical anomaly.
                            The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

nuisanceists
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X