Don't make such huge ass coins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't make such huge ass coins

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Sharp practice of melting coins
    By Subir Bhaumik
    BBC News, Guwahati

Millions of Indian coins are being smuggled into neighbouring Bangladesh and turned into razor blades. And that's creating an acute shortage of coins in many parts of India, officials say.

Police in Calcutta say that the recent arrest of a grocer highlights the extent of the problem. They seized what they said was a huge coin-melting unit which he was operating in a run-down shack.

The grocer confessed to melting down tens of thousands of Indian coins into razor blades which were then smuggled into Bangladesh, police said.

"Our one rupee coin is in fact worth 35 rupees, because we make five to seven blades out of them," the grocer allegedly told the police. "Bangladeshi smugglers take delivery of the blades at regular intervals."

Out of circulation

Police say that initially the smugglers took coins into Bangladesh and then melted them down, but as the scale of the operation has increased, more and more criminals in India are melting them down first, and then selling them as razor blades.

To deal with the coin shortage, some tea gardens in the north-eastern state of Assam have resorted to issuing cardboard coin-slips to their workers.

The denomination is marked on these slips and they are used for buying and selling within the gardens.

The cardboard coins are the same size as the real ones and their value is marked on them.

"We will commit an offence if these cardboard slips go out, but we have to use them in our gardens because there are hardly any Indian coins in circulation here," said a manager of a tea garden in northern Assam.

He is not willing to be named because the disclosure could cause legal complications for the estate.

[...]

The mints took corrective action - scaling down the metal content of the coins - but that has not stopped the shortages.

[...]

Begging coins

Shopkeepers ask customers to buy more to make it a round figure so that small change does not have to be given out.

"The shopkeepers give us toffees or cigarettes to make it a round figure," said student Debolina Sen.

In desperation, some shopkeepers have even turned to beggars to maintain their coin supplies.

The beggars get given coins by passers-by and then sell them on at a profit.

"They charge a smaller premium, much less compared to the touts outside the Reserve Bank," says businessman Tarun Jain.

The coin shortage is most acute in the north-eastern frontier town of Agartala, right on the border with Bangladesh and believed to be a major centre for contraband trade with Bangladesh.

Here, rickshaw pullers tell you that they cannot provide any coins in change because they have none left.

"So we have to accept very soiled notes of one or five rupees, so soiled that the banks will not change it," says Agartala resident Sushil Choudhury.

In Guwahati, Assam's capital and the business hub of India's northeast, small coins like 50 paisa have completely dropped out of circulation.

Re: Don't make such huge ass coins

That about sums it up.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

That's why U.S. pennies are no longer made out of copper. A penny would have much more than 1-cent of copper in it.

Comment

Roflcopter!!!

Only in India
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

US penny is now copper-plated zinc (2.5% Cu).
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Steal the razor blades and introduce the 35 rupee coin

Comment

Just switch from coins as currency to razor blades.

Possible jokes:

Slice of the profits
              Change 'in' your hand
              Prices slashed

Nah.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Cut-throat competition??

Comment

We already discussed this, and produced one of the weirdest poll outcomes ever:

Comment

no way they would make coins out of copper now. too valuable. In my city they are ripping apart air conditioning units stealing all the copper. and it's not nice to have no a/c where I live.

Comment

Copper tripled in price in the last couple of years. The Chinese seem to want a lot of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                        no way they would make coins out of copper now. too valuable. In my city they are ripping apart air conditioning units stealing all the copper. and it's not nice to have no a/c where I live.
                        The stoled mine.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                        X