No announcement yet.

The Indrisation of Jehovah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

monotheism as we know it today evolved, even Genesis makes clear there are other "gods". And I disagree that Jehovah transcends humanity while other gods are more human like, they all behave like humans and not the power behind the universe... This "Creator" is beyond all the pettiness we see in religions and their multitude of rules...

Comment

Indritis? The inflammation of one's Indra?

As for the thing itself, you're not really saying anything that isn't obvious IMO. People tend to ditch beliefs that don't tell them what they want to hear.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

A few short comments:

The Bible acknowledges other gods' existence, but tells that these gods are not real gods, but rather demons under the domain of Satan, as you said. Just wanted to make that clear.

What you write about prophets and Judaism/Christianity does not hold true for Christianity. Yes, God used prophets in the old days of the Old Testament, but not anymore. Or rather, there are the prophetic gift, but after Christ every Christian has the same "link" to God as the prophets had, none is special in that sense anymore.

Who on Earth is this Jack dude? Whoever it is, I doubt he's a good example, as a good example is something widely known.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Jack Chick is a loonball who publishes these delightfully goofy comic book "tracts." For example, there's a tract where he insists that Dungeons and Dragons is a gateway to Satanism, and a bunch of others blaming the RCC for the Holocaust. I think you can find his lovely literature at www.chick.com

EDIT: Correct URL.
          Last edited by Elok; August 24, 2007, 19:17.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The Bible acknowledges other gods' existence, but tells that these gods are not real gods, but rather demons under the domain of Satan, as you said. Just wanted to make that clear.
            So when God was talking to others about making humans in "our" image, he was talking to Satan's minions? What about Joshua 24:2-6 where he tells the Israelites upon entering the promised land how their fathers served other gods in the land of the 2 rivers? Thats Abram and his fathers baby...yeah man...

Comment

whats the thesis and where is it?

Ah never mind, helpfully at the end of all of that.

Comment

Monotheism, as a concept, is very old. Some of its earliest traces can be found in the Vedic canon.

This reminds me of how some Greeks used to start their posts. Everything was invented in Greece

Monotheism wasn't really present all around, it was invented by a specific tribe which first got this idea that they are haunted by this obsessive and dangerous God who can't stand competition, like, at all.

You prayed to other deities to get something, you pray to Jehovah to explain to him that you are not praying to anyone else and that therefore he should spare your life

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

So when God was talking to others about making humans in "our" image, he was talking to Satan's minions? What about Joshua 24:2-6 where he tells the Israelites upon entering the promised land how their fathers served other gods in the land of the 2 rivers? Thats Abram and his fathers baby...yeah man...
                  God is one, but there is this thing called trinity that explains that part of the creation story well. Alternatively, it can also be attributed to the royal plural. The speech of Joshua tells that before the Israelites's forefathers once served foreign gods. That does not imply those were real gods.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

monotheism as we know it today evolved, even Genesis makes clear there are other "gods". And I disagree that Jehovah transcends humanity while other gods are more human like, they all behave like humans and not the power behind the universe... This "Creator" is beyond all the pettiness we see in religions and their multitude of rules...
                    Neither christianity nor judaism are monotheistic in the meaning that there are no other 'gods'.
                    There are other gods, both the OT and the NT speak about spirital powers.
                    They are monotheistic in the meaning that there's only one defenitive authority.

A big difference between the ancient gods (Rah, Baal, ie.) and JHWH is that Rah and Baal are a part of the universe (the upper-god is most of the time the sun-god, or the sun itself)
                    JHWH is not a part of the universe in the judaistic/christian faith.

A good example is the Baal psalm, compared to one of the psalms of the OT (can't remember which one).
                    Both psalms are very simular, but in the Baal psalm the sun is the authority that's being worshipped, while in the Biblical psalm the sun is shown as a creation of JHWH.
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Please remember that (most) Christianity is Trinitarrian. Most groups I know interpret that as refering to the Godhead.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                        The issue is the hindu god's are like men. While God (Judeo-Christian) transcends human kind. This is the key difference between God, and the gods of polytheistic religions.

JM
                        I deferred this till now, but I just have to post this:

In Hindu India, Vedanta metas YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

Monotheism wasn't really present all around, it was invented by a specific tribe which first got this idea that they are haunted by this obsessive and dangerous God who can't stand competition, like, at all.

You prayed to other deities to get something, you pray to Jehovah to explain to him that you are not praying to anyone else and that therefore he should spare your life
                          I know that.

My point was that there was a tiny bit of thought like this in the Vedas about Varuna, but we were sensible enough not to encourage it (), and that type of thinking never really caught on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

Please remember that (most) Christianity is Trinitarrian. Most groups I know interpret that as refering to the Godhead.

JM
                            If I remember correctly the trinitarian principle was only introduced after Jesus came to earth.
                            AFAIK the jews which, as I assume, have the same passage in their Torah, don´t see god as some kind of trinity.
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Which is why he explicitly said Christianity, not Judaism.

Comment

Working...
                              X