Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS file transfer

Dunno if there's much to discuss, but I found it interesting nonetheless:

TThe keepers of a vast archive of Nazi documents on the Holocaust have transferred copies of millions of files to museums in Israel and the US.

The electronic transfer is part of an agreement to open up the Bad Arolsen archive, overseen by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).

The files, kept in Germany, were found in concentration camps and other Nazi prisons at the end of World War II.

Several countries have not yet ratified the agreement, delaying full access.

The archive will only be fully opened to the public when the 2006 protocol is ratified by Italy, France and Greece. That is expected later this year.

The ICRC says the archive has now transferred many documents from the archive to the Holocaust Memorial Museum in the US and to the Yad Vashem Holocaust Centre in Israel.

Chilling details

The 47 million files stored in the spa town of Bad Arolsen hold meticulously recorded information on forced labourers, concentration camp victims and political prisoners. They take up 26km (16 miles) of shelving.

Historians believe many more details about the Nazis' murder and brutal exploitation of millions of Jews, Roma (Gypsies) and other victims will be revealed.

"After a long political process, we can now give researchers and the public access to the files," said Reto Meister, director of the ICRC's International Tracing Service (ITS).

So far, 12 million documents have been digitised for electronic transfer, the ICRC says.

In grey, bureaucratic language the Nazis kept records on the smallest details - from the number of lice on a prisoner's head to the exact moment of their execution.

The archive has been used to help people trace their relatives. But access has been restricted to protect victims' privacy.

The archive is controlled by an 11-nation treaty signed in 1955 and amended by the 2006 protocol. The countries are: Belgium, Britain, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Poland and the US.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Blah

Any idea what the holocaust deniers think of this archive?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Well, most of them were never great with sources. They'd probably twist it all into some evil Jooish conspiracy....
      Blah

Comment

I read "file transfer" and thought I was in teh Tech Forum.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

and I thought that NS was a new Operating System that I'd blinked and missed.

Comment

Well I first toyed with the idea to name it "Nazithreadi!" but I didn't want to invoke Godwin irght from the start....
            Blah

Comment

...Do we really need details?
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                ...Do we really need details?
                Yes we do, if only for the survivors or the next of kin of the victims.
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

Working...
                X