No announcement yet.

Russian BBC listeners must go back to shortwave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know, but I know we wouldn't limit it.

Pekka, it's nice to be so sure! Maybe there are some Americans or Brits over here who are also sure of the same thing?
    Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
      bbc world service
      I also like it.

Critics say President Vladimir Putin's government has stifled media freedoms and quashed political opposition as part of a broader effort to increase Kremlin control over Russian political life.

QFT.

Stifling media freedoms is one thing (and there are really problems with it in Russia), but restoring status quo with geopolitical rivals is quite a different thing.

Comment

The Vagabond, well, I can't say that I'm 100% sure, but then again, I've never ever heard of banning of these outlets.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Vagabond, I just googled it, voice of russia is heard in here. So is BBC. So are others.

So there, now I AM sure they have it in here.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
            The Vagabond, well, I can't say that I'm 100% sure, but then again, I've never ever heard of banning of these outlets.
            This is just because you don't let it in in the first place. So you've got nothing to ban.

Comment

Vagabond, I just googled it, voice of russia is heard in here. So is BBC. So are others.

So there, now I AM sure they have it in here.
              FM broadcasts?? In Finnish??

If it is just short waves that you are talking about, it's a different story. Nobody impedes short-wave broadcasts in Russia either.

Comment

Originally posted by The Vagabond
                I also like it.
                a man with good taste. shame it will harder for you to listen to it from now on though.

Stifling media freedoms is one thing (and there are really problems with it in Russia), but restoring status quo with geopolitical rivals is quite a different thing.
                i see can your point here. however, this latest move must be seen in the context of the putin government's campaign to control media coverage and silence opposition within russia.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney

a man with good taste. shame it will harder for you to listen to it from now on though.
                  But I won't be tormenting myself over the question why such inequality is allowed.

i see can your point here. however, this latest move must be seen in the context of the putin government's campaign to control media coverage and silence opposition within russia.
                  Also in the context of restoring global geopolitical positions of Russia.

Comment

Vagabond, well, the website of Voice of Russia even shows the frequencies to tune into if you want to listen it here in Finland.

If it should be in Finnish language, well, that's a matter of the station if they want to invest into it. I don't know if they're in Finnish as well.

So no, there's on ban on it, just like I couldn't find a single station that would be banned in here.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Oh wait, I just found "Finnish language Voice of Russia"... so yeah, it's also available in Finnish it seems like.

Vagabond, to be honest, this isn't a big deal. It would be a big deal if they banned some station. Airwaves aren't supposed to be reserved for "national" ideas you know... And we've gotten this station from the 40s, it seems that it changed its name from Radio Moscow to Voice of Russia in the early 90s.

Now I've wasted enough time to find this out, so I'm not willing to go on about this any longer.
                      In da butt.

Comment

But BBC was not "banned" in Russia. It's just that it is no longer given FM diapason.

Your use of the word "ban" has been misleading in this context, Pekka.

Comment

Well call it what you want. The intent and motivation is what I'm seeing so we might as well call it a ban. No longer given, as in forbidden, as in banned.

Like I said, I already spent enough time to show you that there are places that do not follow this same pattern. Like for example here, right next to you, next to your own border.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Well call it what you want. The intent and motivation is what I'm seeing so we might as well call it a ban. No longer given, as in forbidden, as in banned.
                            I disagree. The devil is in the details.

Like I said, I already spent enough time to show you that there are places that do not follow this same pattern. Like for example here, right next to you, next to your own border.
                            Yes, you spent enough time. But you didn't do the "job" well enough!

Comment

What job? I just countered your message where you said that Russia and UK are geopolitical rivals so of course they do this.

So, I just merely pointed out that no, not everyone does this. This is all I wanted to show and I showed it.

This all devil is in the details stuff is quite useless because you yourself said that geopolitical rivals do this kind of stuff. So you have already agreed with the part that counts. Note, I'm not saying that Russia is the only one doing this, quite obviously it isn't the case. I'm just saying not everyone does it and that it isn't obvious that one should do it.
                              In da butt.

Comment

I'm just worried that the Russians are being Russians while the Germans are being French.
                                Long time member @ Apolyton
                                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                                X