Calling for psychology majors or equivalent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling for psychology majors or equivalent

I'm basically going through some material of your field, social psychology to be more exact. I'm going to do some heavy duty studying on few "narrow" fields in it that have to do with few types of human behaviour. (well it isn't narrow exactly).

I'm looking for classics, either articles on top journals or classic books, or respected authors. Basically I need to make the references count as well. Quality over quantity for starters.

The particular subject is human behaviour when it comes to things such as deception and manipulation. To understand the process of it from your perspective comprehensively. I understand this will give more routes that shouldn't be left out in the name of trivializing issues, but give those "also check out" hints as well.

Umm, particularly situations where humans are being manipulated or deception is used from both sides, the perpetrator and also the target. I know it's not so simple to just state that this is the scenario, now give me facts.... humans are not that simple and neither are the situations, but I need to get started from a more valid side of your field so get me started. All kinds of basic classic books and articles are going to be appreciated.

Then the other thing, behaviour and especially modifying behaviour using subtle tools and everything related. Basically behaviour modification.

I am going to connect with people in here with this stuff, but I'd like to get started sinc eit'll be at least 3 months until it happens and I'm already in a situation where I can start reading about it and I'd like to know something so I can follow it all better.

Everything is of interest, studies, especially different frameworks etc.

Please help.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Ok I'll be more to the point.

Please excuse me for my amateur terms and also perhaps wrong idea and interpretation, I'm trying to just kind of describe the situation I'm covering.

Say we will use deception. We're going to fool someone, someone unknown perhaps. So, say I'm going to have to lie to that stranger and hopefully get the results I want.

So I could try to establist authority. We know there's lots of good studies how authority works often and there are people who kind of bend over if they figure you're an authority. This can be done in several ways, superior knowledge creates authority for example.

Now, say we want to establist trust. I want to establish trust so I can later on abuse that trust and do my carefully planned thing. Basically what I'd want to know is what we know about trust, establishing it and so forth in your field. I know it's not going to be a model where it's straight forward and so on, but that's not the point and I don't need that. I need to understand what we know about it, do we know about it?

So stuff like that.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

When you first arrive, find the biggest toughest guy and beat the crap out of him. No one will mess with you after that.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

dashi,

Nah, but I'm really quite serious. Also if you have any friends who are in the field, maybe you could ask from them?

Just looking for sources, not the answers. I just need to knwo reliable and appreciated authors, books, articles, so I can read it for myself ASAP, because this stuff takes some time for me to understand, this is not my field so I need time to digest this stuff.

The problem for me is that I don't quite know who is a good source and who is not, what is a good book and what is not. I might be referring to some BS idiot who has 0 respect in the field, I just want to avoid making that big mistake.
        In da butt.

Comment

Well, my mom's an adjunct psych professor, I can ask her. It doesn't sound like something she'd know a lot about, though, she tends to focus more on relationships and development and suchlike AFAICT.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Sign in with your credentials to access the EBSCOhost premium information resources provided by your subscribing institution.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Elok, I'd very much appreciate it. I don't need the information about this subject, I just need to know what the good sources are in the field. I am going to use some of them as reference quite soon, and we are kind of strict about them... they have to be quality sources, as in articles from top journals, respected authors and so forth.
              In da butt.

Comment

I'll give you guys an example. I talked about Robert Cialdini, and this one dude totally slammed him. So I had to kind of forget about it. THe thing is, I don't know if I should have said that he is respected and he is a good and valid source or not. Because I simply don't know... so I made a fool of myself and could not proceed. I know the big boys in my field, and if someone is going to go for some of the lesser ones, I'm going to be the first one to call them up for it. Doesn't mean they're wrong, but I will be questioning the validity of it, so when it happens to me in another field, I have no clue what so ever.... so I'm lost.
                In da butt.

Comment

use that search engine and you'll find what you want
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Elok, the very focused issue I'm dealing with is social engineering. So everything related to that in the field of psychology is something I'm very interested in.

Apo, I don't have the account for that database. I do have others, but the problem is I don't know what a good valid source is in a field I'm not familiar with. I can't just search by topic. It doesn't let me know if it is quality or not. Quality as in respected in the field.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Robert Cialdini is nothing special.

Comment

If you have a good database, you can find a work and then find other works that reference that work. In their introduction, they will probably discuss the work and you can use that information to see how good it really is.

Comment

Right, so you get my problem. He has dealt with issues that I'm interested in, but is not an author I'd like to be referring to in a serious paper. One of the measures as to how good your paper is considered is the quality of your references. So even if your content remains the same, the references do matter quite a lot.

So I don't for example know that R. Cialdini is not the man. I look him up on wikipedia and it says well, he's the man but apparently people who know more about the field say he isn't. So .. I need people to recommend me better ones .
                          In da butt.

Comment

Apo, Sure, but I have no idea if the ones referring to that article are any good either.

This is something I'm prolly going to have to do anyway, but it wouldn't hurt if someone already knows something about this stuff and gives their recommendation. Once I get started, then it isn't a problem, I just want to get started with good ones.
                            In da butt.

Comment

Pekka, honestly if you are doing a project like this you need like 20 or 30 sources at least so mention everyone with a degree. In the course of research, you will be able to tell who is really good and who isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X