Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could The Troubles have been easily avoided?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could The Troubles have been easily avoided?

A spot of determinism to amuse while I'm away on holiday next week. Would the removal of any of these incidents from history have stopped The Troubles in Ulster?

1- Bloody Sunday.

2- The whitewash in the Widgery inquiry into Bloody Sunday.

3- Internment.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

I read 3 as "The Internet" at first

Comment

If Britain had seriously addressed the issue of discrimination against Roman Catholic Irish in Northern Ireland before the protests began then there would have been no protests, no Bloody Sunday and therefore no "Troubles".
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

All 3 were a symptom of the troubles not a cause.
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

No, no and no.

Comment

How was the discrimination against the Irish Catholics a symptom of the troubles? It was the cause of the troubles, it was the thing against which the protestors who were gunned down were marching against. It was the product of narrow-minded Northern Irish Protestant bigotry. If the Northern Irish Protestants who owned the businesses and factories had been willing to treat their fellow citizens equally regardless of religion the standard of living for the Irish Catholics would have been much higher and there would have been no protest.

The Ford Motor Company had a factory in North Ireland which practiced equal opportunity hiring and had no labor problems until the violence in North Ireland ................... and the obsolesence of their product made contnuing production unfeasible.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
              How was the discrimination against the Irish Catholics a symptom of the troubles? It was the cause of the troubles, it was the thing against which the protestors who were gunned down were marching against. It was the product of narrow-minded Northern Irish Protestant bigotry. If the Northern Irish Protestants who owned the businesses and factories had been willing to treat their fellow citizens equally regardless of religion the standard of living for the Irish Catholics would have been much higher and there would have been no protest.

The Ford Motor Company had a factory in North Ireland which practiced equal opportunity hiring and had no labor problems until the violence in North Ireland ................... and the obsolesence of their product made contnuing production unfeasible.
              I never said it was. I was replying to the 3 specific events stated by Laz.
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                All 3 were a symptom of the troubles not a cause.
                I don't agree. There was a massive upscaling of violence as a reaction to Bloody Sunday and the Widgery Report. It was the final straw that led to the IRA's mainland bombing campaign, which in turn ushered in internment.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                X