• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the market for a new smartphone

Any ideas?

Looking for a smartphone with:
    QWERTY
    web/email/word access (duh!)
    expandable memory slot (want to have the phone double as a basic mp3 player if possible

Houston Tx, so coverage/options should not be a problem.

We're with sprint now and are pleased, but can jump at any time, our contract expired a while ago and we are month to month. Our current phones are just the basic flip phones from a couple years ago.

oh and we are looking at ~$300 for each phone (2)

Re: In the market for a new smartphone

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
    expandable memory slot (want to have the phone double as a basic mp3 player if possible
    How much music do you want to carry? There are only a handful of phones that support 2+GB high-capacity MicroSD cards...

Comment

Nokia e70 does all that for you.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I have teh HTC Mogul/PPC6800, and I love it.

If you don't mind signing a new contract, I'd strongly suggest Sprint's SERO (employee referral offer) - $30/month for 500 mins, 7pm N&W, unlimited data, unlimited texts, and teh Mogul for $288.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I don't know how good this is, but see if you like it: Neo 1973.

Note that the one shown there is the developer version - the mass-market one comes out in October, and is quite a bit more powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
            I have teh HTC Mogul/PPC6800, and I love it.

If you don't mind signing a new contract, I'd strongly suggest Sprint's SERO (employee referral offer) - $30/month for 500 mins, 7pm N&W, unlimited data, unlimited texts, and teh Mogul for $288.
            That is the one that I am looking strongly at, along with the trio 700wx

oh, and we are only looking at a few albums of music at a time, so I think the 512 mb capacity cards are sufficient. wouldn't mind the 2gb capability, but not required

Comment

update:

we bought a pair of moguls.

fantastic little device. and we picked up a pair of 2gb microsd's from frys (capacity is to 4gb)

really a sexy little device. Internet runs quite fast on it.

service was mediocre-the dude messed up the activation somehow and I had to redo at home using my landline (30min) and he botched the service plan (another 40 min) but it resulted in us getting a 10$ dataplan each (usually 15) and basically our first months usage free.

Comment

I'm looking forward to teh firmware upgrade that'll give us EVDO rev. A

I feel sorry for teh poor iPhone users stuck with EDGE on a $600 device
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

edge lol omg
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Teh Mogul is highly customisable, too. Here's some stuff you should do:

1. Do a hard reset (erases all data and stuff, unfortunately), and then, teh first time you boot up, you'll see it say "Performing Sprint customizations in 3 seconds." Do a soft reset right then, and you'll get to keep your phone free of all teh crap Sprint puts on there.
                    2. Download PHM Regedit, and do some of teh necessary registry tweaks listed over at www.ppcgeeks.com (bookmark this URL, BTW)
                    3. Disable teh HTCHomePlug in teh today screen. Instead, download and install teh Today Plugin from teh HTC Kaiser (teh link is on PPCGeeks somewhere). It's much, much better.
                    4. Download and install teh black Today theme from teh HTC Touch (all downloads hereafter are from ppcgeeks).
                    5. Download and install HTC X-Button (kills applications rather than hiding them)
                    6. Download and install HTC Audio Manager (much better than WMP)
                    7. Download and install Palm Threaded SMS App (much better than teh default text message reader)
                    8. Download and install Arcsoft MMS App (real picture mail)
                    9. You may be tempted to install teh Dialer and Comm Manager from teh HTC Touch; don't, they have memory leaks.

Comment

I've already done much of that

Though, I didn't know of the hard reset, I'll think that one over, resetting everything is annoying.

I have the kaiser
                      was using the black theme
                      using audio manager
                      need to download the x button
                      don't use text messages
                      will check into the arcsoft mms ap

I also found spb mobile shell....
                      have you messed around with that?

Comment

Yeah, though I didn't want to pay for it, and teh Kaiser home screen is good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X