X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerful earthquake strikes Peru

By LESLIE JOSEPHS, Associated Press Writer
    9 minutes ago

LIMA, Peru - A powerful earthquake shook Peru's coast near the capital on Wednesday, toppling some houses in Lima and causing alarmed residents to flee into the street for safety. A tsunami warning was issued for South America's Pacific coast based on the strength of the quake.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 7.5 magnitude temblor hit about 90 miles southeast of Lima at a depth of 25 miles. It was followed by two strong aftershocks that registered at magnitudes 5.8 and 5.9.

There were no immediate reports of injuries. Associated Press reporters said the quake shook Lima for more than a minute and that some homes had collapsed in the city's center.

Firefighters said some street lights and windows shattered in Lima and that hundreds of workers were evacuated from office buildings and remained outside, fearing aftershocks.

The quake also knocked out telephone service and mobile phone service in the capital. Firefighters were called to put out a fire in a shopping center.

Callers to Radio Programas, Peru's main news station, said parts of several cities in southern Peru had been hit with blackouts.

The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami warning for the coasts of Peru, Chile, Ecuador and Colombia, and a tsunami watch from Panama to Mexico.

It also issued a tsunami advisory for the U.S. state of Hawaii. The center said it did not know if a tsunami had been generated.

The last time a quake of magnitude 7.0 or larger struck Peru's central coast was in 1974 when a magnitude 7.6 hit in October followed by a 7.2 a month later.

The latest Peru quake occurred in a subduction zone where one section of the Earth's crust dives under another, said USGS geophysicist Dale Grant at the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo.

Some of the world's biggest quakes strike in subduction zones including the catastrophic Indian Ocean temblor in 2004 that generated deadly tsunami waves.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

7.5!!!Damn!!!

Maybe Peru has fallen into the earth and that is why there is no news!
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Doh. Hopefully the damage & casualties are minimal.

I knew a guy who lived down the street from me in Middletown who would go to Peru every so often to help them work on building codes and such. Pretty cool guy.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The National Civil Defense Institute's website said the quake toll had reached 337 dead and 827 injured. However, a spokesman said it was unclear how many people had been killed.

Earlier, Health Minister Carlos Vallejos said at least 135 people were killed and more than 1,300 others injured in cities farther to the south.

Not looking good. You know the death toll is only going to go up.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Over 350 dead
          I need a foot massage

Comment

I know someone with a lot of family in Peru. I wonder if she knows about this.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              7.5!!!Damn!!!
              This morning's news was reporting it at 7.9!
              Aftershocks are in the "4" range.
              Last edited by Zkribbler; August 16, 2007, 12:25.

Comment

Working...
              X