The morality of using children in Independence Day celebrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The morality of using children in Independence Day celebrations

Today was India's Independence day, and I attended the flag hoisting ceremony conducted by my college (it's a set of institutions, and it was a huge event, with ten or more institutions attending).

Though the whole thing was quite spectacular, there was one aspect I was slightly uncomfortable with - children being part of the festivities as performers.

I am of the opinion that young children are not qualified or old enough to give informed consent as to whether or not they wish to participate in these functions, of whether or not they are patriots or nationalists. So making them participate seems a bit morally and ethically shady.

Sure, it sounds and looks great - "Look at the little patriots!" - but we have to consider the rights of the "little patriots", too.

Society says this is up to the parents. If the parents want to raise flag-waving partiots, that's their choice.

If you want to argue that parents' don't have such a right, then that's a much bigger issue.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Shirley Temple starred in the Little Rebel in which she was a Southern bellette, and another movie where her dad had gone off to fight the Boers. And kids still do political type stuff all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
        Society says this is up to the parents. If the parents want to raise flag-waving partiots, that's their choice.

If you want to argue that parents' don't have such a right, then that's a much bigger issue.
        This wasn't something done by parents, it was done by a school which was part of this group of institutions. And attendance was pretty much compulsory (though not for us).

Comment

aneesh, that's a good point. THat's how the education system works from the very beginning, when students don't ask any question or question the system. That's when you teach them that the country you're in is the greatest, sing this song, it's the national song and it guarantees we are all so great and all kinds of BS.

You need to really promote this stuff when they're young, that's when you get them. If you don't get them young, you are unlikely to get them as they are older.

Is it a good thing to do? If you ask me, no, not really.

But about this party, I think it's not so bad. The kids are most likely thinking they're just performing and they like to perform so.. that's all. They don't have to understand what they're taking part in, because they couldn't understand it. The best they can do is repeat what the teacher and parents told them, "I live in the greatest country yippeee!". So most likely they're just performing for the sake of that and not really bothering their heads with the meaning of the event.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
            This wasn't something done by parents, it was done by a school which was part of this group of institutions. And attendance was pretty much compulsory (though not for us).
            If there isn't some option to opt out of this that the parents and the child can take, then that kind of starts to bother me.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

If they were forced, and it was not what the parents wanted, then it's wrong, but there is nothing wrong with having children take part in celebrations that we ourselves cherish. The kids are smart enough that when they grow up, they will make their own decisions.
              EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

"The kids are smart enough that when they grow up, they will make their own decisions."

Right...

In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Raise your own kids and teach them to burn the flag.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Shrapnel12
                    The kids are smart enough that when they grow up, they will make their own decisions.
                    No. The kids are stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrapnel12
                      The kids are smart enough that when they grow up, they will make their own decisions.
                      QFT. Nobody is going to think "Oh, one day every year I would dance around to music, so now I need to be a fascist."
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

lighten up, its a holiday
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

So long as they aren't goosestepping, it's all good to me.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

One of the two functions of a school in a democratic society is to foster a sense of citizenship. Participation in national holiday events, like learning patriotic songs in school and requiring civics classes, is merely an extention of that.

And, frankly, kids don't consent to a damned thing about their educations. Why draw the line here?
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                              One of the two functions of a school in a democratic society is to foster a sense of citizenship. Participation in national holiday events, like learning patriotic songs in school and requiring civics classes, is merely an extention of that.

And, frankly, kids don't consent to a damned thing about their educations. Why draw the line here?
                              Do you learn how to use "citizenship" and "democratic" that way in school?

Comment

Working...
                              X