Playgrounds closed after 'fluke' fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playgrounds closed after 'fluke' fire

Jungle damn hot here in Texas. Playground equipment bursting into flames.

11:57 AM CDT on Tuesday, August 14, 2007
    By CRAIG CIVALE / WFAA-TV

ARLINGTON — The Arlington Independent School District has closed nearly two dozen playgrounds that are at risk of spontaneous combustion.

The 20 playgrounds affected are the ones that use manufactured mulch as a cushion. Investigators said the engineered wood fiber can heat up and ignite, which actually happened at one playground last week.

A security camera video shows the Arlington facility—which was, fortunately, not being used at the time—suddenly erupting in flames and thick, black smoke.

"Although this is a very unusual occurrence, we're not going to take chances with the safety of children," said AISD Superintendent Mac Bernd.

Other school districts that may have the same problem are also expressing concern.

Industry experts, however, say spontaneous combustiion can only happen when there's a "perfect storm" of events. "It's completely illogical and virtually impossible in a playground," said mulch distributor Baron Ablon. "Spontaneous combustion comes along with pressure—great pressure, extreme pressure—the right amount of moisture, and various other elements."

Investigators concluded that the Arlington fire was triggered by heavy rains followed by hot weather. The extreme heat broke down the mulch into a type of compost, which can be combustible.

Arlington schools will replace the mulch with pea gravel.

AISD
    A security camera captured this image of the playground ablaze.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

That's hilarious.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yikes!

Can we give someone the DP for this? /jk
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
      X