How many years have you been online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used BBS around 85, but not very often.

Tried e-mail in 91, but decided that since hardly anyone had an e-mail account, it would never catch on.

Started using the Internet in 95/96
    Golfing since 67

Comment

I believe I accessed the www from Lund University in 93 or 94 but really started using it in 95 or so from Birmingham.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

about 6 years. 5th grade was when AIM and online games were the most addictive things ever.

Comment

Since 97. Which gives about 10 years. The size of my ICQ# proves it (almost, I didn't start using ICQ until 98).

A more interesting question would of cource be "How long time have you been online?" Onl conting time actually using the internet interactively. To that I don't even have an estimate. I might be able to do some approximation but it requires me to think back on how my surfing habits have evolved since 97. (Even before that actually, since I probably had been online for about a day before getting online.)
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Also the real answer is too long.

Today, I've spent my day on the internet checking out hours worth of:

bad women drivers
            face plants
            skateboarding accidents
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
              Since 97. Which gives about 10 years. The size of my ICQ# proves it (almost, I didn't start using ICQ until 98).

A more interesting question would of cource be "How long time have you been online?" Onl conting time actually using the internet interactively. To that I don't even have an estimate. I might be able to do some approximation but it requires me to think back on how my surfing habits have evolved since 97. (Even before that actually, since I probably had been online for about a day before getting online.)
              I prefer not to spend too much time thinking about how much time I have spent on-line

Asmodean
              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Since late April 1996 for me, at home -- a loaned Windows 3.1 system for a couple of months before the move to a new machine, purchased and powered ( burdened? ) by Windows95. Ah, Netscape 3.1 for browsing and Eudora Pro 3.x for email...

Had Internet access for the first time at school later that year when I started Grade 10. Though, when I was in Grade 9 my class got the icon lab... and when we were in Grade 10 we got the icon lab again. Our Grade 9 and 10 counterparts each year got one of the computer labs. Oy.
                PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Over 15 years. I used to go on BBSes in primary school, when I was about 8 or 9, which would make it about 1990. I remember my dad taking me to his university, playing around on gopher and lynx and surfing the newsgroups.

I also remember being one of the first 20 or so bloggers in the UK - back then, we could all - and did - fit in a single pub.
                  mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Hon
                    I remember my dad taking me to his university, playing around on gopher and lynx and surfing the newsgroups.
                    Gopher! I recall a mini-assignment in my Grade 11 computer class on it: essentially we had to navigate to a couple locations and retrieve some basic info on something-or-other. Besides that and generally looking at it, part of a period for a couple a days. That was the extent of my use of that service.

On a related point, I never used a BB system (to those smart asses out there , I mean the "dial-in" kind). I was 9 myself in 1990, but no Internet or predecessor access available. Then again I didn't (and still don't) live in a metropolitan area.
                    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I remember using gopher to get something or other. Civ maybe
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

gopher
                        lynx
                        I rarely used BBSs myself, but mostly because i wasn't a social type back then.

Not that I am now either
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I recall that there was precious little that was interesting on gopher back then (at least to a kid), nor was there much on the web, but there was plenty of fun stuff about Star Trek on the newsgroups
                          mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

Email back in 1995...
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                            X