No announcement yet.

How many years have you been online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early 1998 I think.... stumbled across ACS soon afterwards looking for Civ2 scenarios. I was 13.

Comment

Started in the mid-70s on the PLATO system at University of Illinois at C-U.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The www in some form certainly existed in 1993, I had a techumseh (server @ sandia labs) account in high school and used mosaic (the original...) at that point.

Oh this brings back memories... (though wikipedia certainly didn't exist then)

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I had an account with internet access age 11 at school, first permenant home internet account I had was age 15, 2003. So've I've been online 8 years.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Krill, and next year, when you'll be 11, you might sneak into theaters to see Grindhouse!
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I've been online since late 1996 or early 1997.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Online, somewhere in 95 or something. Back in the days I played duke nukem 3d thru modemplay

ahh fond memories
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

It must have been about 1987. 2400 baud was screaming fast then.

As for internet e-mail, that was 1992. As for the www, I was there at the beginning with Mosaic, in 1993. The www was a big pain in the ass then, but lots better than Gopher.

I certainly expect to log in on the day that I pass from this Earth (or whatever heavenly body I call home then).
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I first used the Internet at school in 6th grade in 1997. My parents got dial-up in late 1999. I got cable Internet in late 2005.

Comment

Didn't use it until I got to college... gopher and IRC, 1994. Man I wasted a lot of time. Times sure have changed
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

I said nine years, but if you count very rare and fleeting BBS contact, then it would be 19 years. For the first five years of that there was only one BBS that I would visit, and that was only to help the guy troubleshoot.
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

erm... i have been spamming/trolling/flaming since 1991...? or was it around 1994? Goddammit, i cant remember but it was back when Prodigy first came out.

meh, i dont really give a damn anyways.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I remember using a brand new blazing fast 800 baud modem in the mid-80's.

So, 20+, but only 15 or so of consistant usage.

:P ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

I wonder, what year did The www come into existence?
                              In the very early 90's, although it was hardly world wide then and the browser only worked on NeXT boxes, IIRC. Mosaic (the first major web browser (And lynx, a text only web browser) both came out in '93. Some of the ideas behind the web (eg, hypertexting, URL vs URI, etc) come out of proposals from the 50s, IIRC.
                              "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Around 10 years.

My first main presence was Usenet - the rec.computer.games.stars newsgroup. My recorded history on the internet dates back to Dec 1999.

But before that I did do some minor chatting on an internet chat room with a friend, I honestly wasn't much interested in the internet then but one of my friends would bug me to chat. We would be juvenile pests to the adults, basically .

And before that, I was slightly active on a BBS.

Comment

Working...
                                X