How many years have you been online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many years have you been online?

So, I got to thinking....many of our younger users define themselves as belonging to the internet generation. But how many years have you actually been on-line?

By on-line, I mean, that on-line activities are a regular part of your everyday life, whether it be at home, at work or at school.

Furthermore, I have expanded the term on-line to mean not only the internet, but also the many BBSs and university networks that preceeded it.

If you reply to the thread, please state how many years you have been on-line, and how old you were when you came on-line.

Myself, I came online in 1989 at the age of 18. This was at Copenhagen Business School. I got my first home connection to the internet in 1995 at the age of 25.

Asmodean

Edit: Typos
    I have been on-line for 2 years
    0.00%
    I have been on-line for 3 years
    0.00%
    I have been on-line for 4 years
    1.30%
    I have been on-line for 5 years
    1.30%
    I have been on-line for 6 years
    2.60%
    I have been on-line for 7 years
    3.90%
    I have been on-line for 8 years
    9.09%
    I have been on-line for 9 years
    12.99%
    I have been on-line for 10+ years
    49.35%
    I have been on-line for 15+ years
    12.99%
    I have been on-line for 20+ years
    5.19%
    I have been on-line for 25+ years
    1.30%
    Last edited by Asmodean; August 13, 2007, 15:33.
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Since middle-school in around 1992-1993 or so. Dial-up AOL and local BBS'. Good times.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Internet in my home since 1995(14kbps modem)

BBS since 1993 (on 2400)
      bleh

Comment

At work I had acces to out-of-house library databases via 4800 baud modems at work back in 85 - does that count ?

Real networking took a couple of years more.

At home, I got ISDN around 96-97 (can't remember precisely).
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

In 1988, my freshman year of HS, our computer department got this little thing that connected to the Assosiated Press and I would download "up to the minute" stories and write short reports about them in a class I had later in the day. I don't even remember what it was called. I was 15.
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

93 as far as calling BBS's goes, but online, internet, 95. But BBS's regularly since 93, I was 13 then. That was some cool stuff, totally different vibe than this new fad called the internet.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Since '97

Comment

Regularly, wasn't until I went to university in 1997.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

10 years ago (give or take a few months) my brother got internet, which I regularly used (since he didn't have a computer he borrowed mine, so I had to visit him to use my computer)
                  9 years and 7 months ago I changed to a school where they had internet, but I didn't use it that much as I thought it was crappy. A few months later I found out that it was just their choice of browser that was crappy (that was the exact same time I got my first PC, so my knowledge of browsers or applications in general was very limited)
                  It wasn't until 1998 I went online at home
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Christmas 1996, IIRC. Or was it '97? 1997 at the latest.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I was first online in 1975, but had to go with a laptop as Mom and dad did not want a computer in their home.

I started playing online games about 1977-ish...

Pong!!!
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I started using AOL back in '94, when I was 11.
                        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                          but had to go with a laptop as Mom and dad did not want a computer in their home.
                          What was the reason for that??
                          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                            I was first online in 1975, but had to go with a laptop as Mom and dad did not want a computer in their home.

I started playing online games about 1977-ish...

Pong!!!
                            Note the year, my baaadd was a bit of a humorous mood here...I wonder, what year did The www come into existence?

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Since 1995/1996
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                              X