Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uncle Sam Wants YOU! ...and what uncle Sam wants...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle Sam Wants YOU! ...and what uncle Sam wants...

The word for today boys and girls is 'D r a f t'.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Not too likely in the current political environment, methinks (though I don't know, I wasn't alive during the Vietnam era). Still, I'm glad I'm manifestly unfit for military service.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

that word is only for boys

Comment

I listened to the interview. It was pretty clear that there wouldn't be a draft.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Yeah, the article itself makes it clear that he was asked if a Draft was one of the options they considered for manning. What's he going to do, go "durr...no, we don't consider all options when we plan stuff" ?
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

"And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another," said Lute, who is sometimes referred to as the "Iraq war czar." It was his first interview since he was confirmed by the Senate in June.
            Predictable media hysteria about the draft -- is this a seasonal thing? Every six months, the press tries to scaremonger people with this by an out-of-context quote?

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
              Not too likely in the current political environment, methinks (though I don't know, I wasn't alive during the Vietnam era). Still, I'm glad I'm manifestly unfit for military service.

Keep your head buried in the sand, Elok.
              For the USA's part, it's already been noted and asked, with all tours lengthened and reserves called up, what do you really think the options are now?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Keep your head buried in the sand, Elok.
                For the USA's part, it's already been noted and asked, with all tours lengthened and reserves called up, what do you really think the options are now?
                Pay rises, funded by increased budget deficits.

Comment

Deplpoy more than 15% of our military maybe?
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Deplpoy more than 15% of our military maybe?
                    Sailors patrolling the streets of Baghdad
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Whatever, Pat. I don't like draftees, so I'll the join the 'Oh, surely not" faction.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

Sailors patrolling the streets of Baghdad

You think you are being funny, but Admiral Mullen(the outgoing CNO) was doing his level best to send as many sailors to the sandbox as possible. I do not think that this is a bad policy. Although I question the wisdom of a buddy arriving at Balad expecting to be runnign signals collection like he did on the ship, and they go "Omni Domni you're a M60 Gunner on a truck."

Putting that clearance to real use there

But yeah, there's about 16,000 or so sailors in Iraq. Most of them are probably medics with the Marines, the rest are what's called "Individual augmentees" to the the army.
                        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

REMFing is not a crime - but militaries around the world should really start thinking about giving their soldiers of the rear more combat training and perhaps forming shadow field units to go on combat duties.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

But yeah, there's about 16,000 or so sailors in Iraq. Most of them are probably medics with the Marines, the rest are what's called "Individual augmentees" to the the army.
                            The vast majority are IAs. And I think that number is too high. According to the Navy times there are only 12000 IAs worldwide, with about 6000 in Iraq (+ corpsmen).
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

The vast majority are IAs. And I think that number is too high. According to the Navy times there are only 12000 IAs worldwide, with about 6000 in Iraq (+ corpsmen).
                              Maybe I'm thinking about the total number of IA's cycled through Iraq?

Comment

Working...
                              X