Middle names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle names

Most people I know have one. I am special and have two.

What purpose do they serve? Is it so you can chuck in a pet name that you always liked but your partner didn't want as the kid's first name? Is it a vanity thing so your mum/dad can shove their name into yours?

Anyway, woe-betied my first son (assuming I ever have one), for I will call him Xerxes Trevor. Not only is it a rocking name but his initials would be XTC.

Then again, I could call him Dave if I am feeling unoriginal.
    10.42%
    72.92%
    14.58%
    3 or more
    2.08%
    Oh behave, Banana is my MIDDLE name.
    0.00%
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

My parents gave me a middle name in case I didn't like my first name, but I don't like my middle name so I never use it
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I don't have a middle name. Since you have two, can I have one of yours?

Comment

VetTrevorLegion.

Comment

Comment

Xerxes? At least grant him the right to be Hannibal.... :shakeshead:
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

In Europe, having two middle names is not so rare. I have two, my name reads like coming directly from a Wagner opera, although my parents are everything but nationalists or germanophile.
              My full name is
              Werner (like my father), Gerolf (like someone we don't know; my grandmother seems to have wanted this), Rüdiger (like my grandfather).

Also, my two children have 3 names:
              Daniel (cause we liked the name) Andreas Martin (like my brothers)
              Jakob (cause we liked the name) Harald Werner (like the grandfathers)
              "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
              "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                Xerxes? At least grant him the right to be Hannibal.... :shakeshead:
                I'm considering calling him Pekka.

Comment

I have none. It would've been Gavin if I had one...fits in well with the mistaken Taffiness. But I think under those circumstances I am glad with none
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I have two middle names. As far as I know everyone over here has the names of a godfather and grandparent on their passport/identity card, but nobody ever uses them.

My name would be Olivier Paul Homer
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Xerxes is probably a tainted name now in our post 300 era... if it was ever an auspicious name anyway.

My middle name is Owen... which I believe is welsh for "lamb".

Comment

Mine is James, after my maternal grandfather.

I occasionally tell people to call me James, and they never do.

I've had more luck telling people to call me Peter.
                        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Dauphin, Pekka > Xerxes.

Let's make it clear; xerxes is dead, I'm not => I am superior to Xerxes.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                            My full name is
                            Werner (like my father), Gerolf (like someone we don't know; my grandmother seems to have wanted this), Rüdiger (like my grandfather).
                            Rüdiger was the badass Hun Margrave from the Niebelungenlied.

Rüdiger
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Dracon II
                              My middle name is Owen... which I believe is welsh for "lamb".
                              That wouldn't surprise me.

In Welsh that means that when you grow up, you'd be raped mercilessly
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X