Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the USSR...

Russia sparks Cold War scramble
    Tu-95 Tupolev long-range bomber aircraft (file picture)
    The Tu-95 pilots exchanged smiles with their US counterparts
    Russian bombers have flown to the US Pacific island of Guam in a manoeuvre reminiscent of the Cold War era.

Two Tu-95 turboprops flew this week to Guam, home to a big US military base, Russian Maj Gen Pavel Androsov said, a story confirmed by the US.

They "exchanged smiles" with US pilots who scrambled to track them, he added.

The sorties, believed to be the first since the Cold War ended, come as Russia stresses a more assertive foreign policy, correspondents say.

The flight is part of a pattern of more expansive Russian military operations in recent weeks, says BBC diplomatic correspondent Jonathan Marcus.

Old practice

Gen Androsov said the strategic bombers had flown 13 hours from their base in the Russian Far East during the exercise.

We prepared to intercept the bombers but they did not come close enough
    Pentagon spokesman
    "It has always been the tradition of our long-range aviation to fly far into the ocean, to meet [US] aircraft carriers and greet [US pilots] visually," he said at a news conference.

"Yesterday [Wednesday] we revived this tradition, and two of our young crews paid a visit to the area of the base of Guam," he said.

"I think the result was good. We met our colleagues - fighter jet pilots from [US] aircraft carriers. We exchanged smiles and returned home," he added.

A spokesman for the Pentagon confirmed that the Tu-95s were spotted heading to Guam, adding that US fighter readied themselves to repel them.

"We prepared to intercept the bombers but they did not come close enough to a US Navy ship or to the island of Guam to warrant an air-to-air intercept," the spokesman said.

During the Cold War, Soviet bombers regularly flew long-haul missions to areas patrolled by Nato and the US.

The bombers have the capability of launching a nuclear strike with the missiles they carry.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6938856.stm

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!

POWER TO THE SOVIETS!

I Putin. He's the fun kind of crazy.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

wow planes with propellers, that'll scare the americans
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Not the planes, the missiles they carry...
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Matthias Rust is smiling at this news too, and heartily approves.

Comment

I am flattered the Russian Airforce allocated 100% of their operational aircraft to pull a PR stunt on us simple Americans.

"The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: Back to the USSR...

Originally posted by Propaganda
                POWER TO THE SOVIETS!
                I'd be more impressed if they hadn't chosen to demonstrate their power by flying around in over 50 years old turboprop planes.
                Blah

Comment

Yay! Russians can now do something they could do 20 years ago!
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Hey! I thought WE were re-starting the Cold War by trying to put ABMs in Eastern Europe. Now the Russkies are getting all the credit?!

Comment

A midget on Guam was heard to comment..."de plane, de plane".
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                      X