X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Word and grammar

So I'm typing a letter in Word, and when I type the phrase

there's little with me that's new
    Word puts a green squiggle under "that's," indicating that it doesn't like my grammar. This happens all the time, of course; Word's grammar check seems to be unable to handle any linguistic or syntactic complexity beyond what one would find in a third-grade primer. (Someday I'm going to cut-and-past some Faulkner into Word, just to see if anything doesn't get underlined.)

Anyway, knowing the failings of this feature, I'm tempted to ignore it as usual -- but curiosity gets the better of me, and I decide to see what Word thinks is the appropriate substitute for "that's." I right-click and get one choice:

that am
    "that am"?

And now I'm stumped. Forget my letter and its commonplace phrase; is there any grammatically-correct way to use the phrase "that am" in English? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

You must have a different version of word from what I'm using at work. It doesn't even underline them nevermind give some odd replacement suggestion.

How about, "I that am king of this thread"?!

Comment

More likely than the two of you having different versions of Word, you probably just have different settings for your grammar checker. The grammar checker is very customizable, but there's no setting that allows it to be correct.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I've noticed that it often underlines it's, when used correctly ("it is"), because Word isn't smart enough to figure out if you mean it is or its possessive, and so it just reminds you that it could be the other way around. Maybe it's the case with that's as well? Is Thats (possessive) a word? I guess so, firefox thinks it is anyway.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: Microsoft Word and grammar

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
          is there any grammatically-correct way to use the phrase "that am" in English?
          i that am not
          what i am not
          that i am not
          what i am
          that which is not
          what it is
          is certainly not
          that which i am

-Leonard Ellis
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

And the prize goes to Lord Shiva...except "I that am not" still seems grammatically incorrect to me; "I who am not" is surely preferable.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

That is correct in that phrase. He is not referring to who (what person, personality, etc) he is, but what he is in a more ... metaphysical ? ... sense. Rewritten for modern grammar that would be,

I am not that which I am not. [I am not a monkey, ie.]
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                More likely than the two of you having different versions of Word, you probably just have different settings for your grammar checker. The grammar checker is very customizable, but there's no setting that allows it to be correct.
                There's always the 'off' setting.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                X