No announcement yet.

The Taliban are "defeated"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do try not to retreat from Kabul, though.

Comment

So Karzai and the hawks on this board are in agreement. The Taliban is toast.

Bring the troops home.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

seriously, how does one digest the dichotomy of "the taliban is defeated, but we can't bring our own troops home yet"
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

seriously, how does one digest the dichotomy of "the taliban is defeated, but we can't bring our own troops home yet"
          By applying reasoning and logic.

And not being a hack, of course.
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The best part of the press conference was Karzai flat out contradicting this Admin's claims that Iran's supplying the Taleban, saying that they're playing a helpful role in Afghanistan. And then Bush was forced to trot out an irrelevent spiel about Iran building a bomb, oppressing its own people, etc.

As for the war, I'm cautiously optimistic. There are definite problems in how we're waging it, starting with our opium-eradication policies. The heart of Taleban control, Helmand province, is where a huge chunk of the world's opium is produced. We could also redeploy some of the troops from a stage that does seem like a lost cause. But generally speaking, i.e. compared to a year ago, things are getting better IMO.
            Last edited by Ramo; August 8, 2007, 17:05.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

As for Iran actively attempting to destabalize Afghanistan, I don't know enough to comment on that other then to say I thought they were against the Taliban. I thought this because one, I thought I remembered a story on this from before we started blaming Iran for all our troubles and second, it makes sense because Iran is ****e and the Taliban is Sunni (I think). Anyway, unless someone has a good arguement or better information, I believe that Iran is working to destabalize Iraq, but I don't think it is doing much of anything in Afghanistan. If it is working to destabalize the region, it's only to make the U.S. look bad. That's the only motive I can see and it's a poor one as Bush does a good enough job of making us look bad on his own.
              As for the Taliban being defeated, I think Karzai is full of ****. I'd love to see the look on his face if the U.S. suddenly said, "Ok, we're pulling all our troops out immediately because the Taliban is defeated." I wonder if he'd actually s*** his pants.
              EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

Bomb them forward to the Middle Ages
                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

As for the Taliban being defeated, I think Karzai is full of ****. I'd love to see the look on his face if the U.S. suddenly said, "Ok, we're pulling all our troops out immediately because the Taliban is defeated." I wonder if he'd actually s*** his pants.
                  Except we are not going to do that, and he knows that. You see, he seems to have an accurate picture of how things actually are while you are just contucting fantasies you want to see (or that just sound interesting).
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

By applying reasoning and logic.

And not being a hack, of course.
                    ummmmm so apply it for me, hack.

how is the taliban defeated but our molly coddling of afghanistan still needed?
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post

how is the taliban defeated but our molly coddling of afghanistan still needed?
                      it just is brah
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                      X