US constitutional history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US constitutional history?

Can anyone recommend a site detailing the constitution and amendments? Crucially, I'd like to know about the historical context to the amendments.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Notes on the Amendments Advertisement Each Amendment to the Constitution came about for a reason — to overrule a Supreme Court decision, to force a societal change, or to revise the details of the Constitution. This page will give an overview of how each Amendment came to be. The process for adopting an amendment is […]

This is about as good of a description as you will find without looking through the old school history books. This website offers concise yet understandable historical notes on the Bill of Rights as a whole and then each individual amendment after (11 - 27).
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Wiki's articles on the articles and amendments of the constitution are actually pretty good, for the most part. Several of the most important ones are featured articles, too.

Comment

when you say amendments, do you mean specifically the first ten, the bill of rights, or all the amendments up to modern times? If the latter, well the context is the whole history of the USA.

Im sure there are some good books on the context of the bill of rights, and lots on the constitution, though I dont think Ive read any. "Miracle at Philadelphia" rings a bell, but I dont know if its any good.

A great book on the whole early Federalist period is "Founding Brothers"
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
        X