Coolest project in experimental archaeology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolest project in experimental archaeology

What's your favorite? What sort of knowlegde came out of it?

I always liked the idea of "The Trireme Trust" where they built a fully functional reconstruction of an ancient Athenian - guess what - trireme

The ship named Olympias was built during the 1980ies.

Wiki says:

She was subject to sea trials in 1987, 1990, 1992 and 1994, but one of the most informative was an exercise in 1988 when crewed by 170 volunteer oarsmen and oarswomen. Olympias achieved a speed of 9 knots (17 km/h) and was able to execute 180 degree turns within one minute, in an arc no wider than two and a half (2.5) ship-lengths. These results, achieved with an inexperienced crew, suggest that the ancient writers were not exaggerating about the capabilities of such vessels.

Triremes

Polyremes in general

Last edited by BeBMan; August 4, 2007, 11:00.
    Blah

I kind of liked the Thor Heyerdahl expeditions.
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

in 1491 Charles Mann cites attempts to perform slash and burn agriculture using stone tools, which are cited as evidence that stone tools are too inefficient for S&B, and that real S&B didnt get underway till Europeans brought steel tools. Ergo the preColumbians must have used other methods, and in Amazonia managed the forests instead. Im not sure I 100% buy it (I wonder if folks hadnt evolved much better ways to use stone tools, ways that are lost) but its an interesting experiment.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Triremes
        Polyremes in general

Yeah, except for the oarsmen
        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
        And notifying the next of kin
        Once again...

Comment

Working...
        X