Desperate Need of Computer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate Need of Computer Help

I have windows xp (the newer version I think) and a Dell Dimension E510 connected to a linksys router with a cellular network card (Sprint) . I lost internet access a few days ago and have confirmed it isn't the card or router (I'm using them now on an old imac os 8.6). But the message my computer keeps giving me is that a network cable is unplugged... but the system seems okay except for the computer, I'm using the same set up now. Dells come with some kind of rebooting system if you want to start from scratch with the original operating system. Would that be wise and how do I do it?

One more problem - I'm using ie 5 as the browser on this imac and I cant access yahoo log in. I keep getting security errors as if yahoo no longer allows ie 5 to access the site. And script errors, how do I turn that crap off?

Help...

Please...

and thank you

Can you Restore? Are you willing to reformat?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I wouldn't start from scratch, this isn't that sort of problem from what I'd guess. Was this coincidental with your other issues or not related? The surge might've affected the router even if it didn't completely take it out.

If you have another router, or someone else nearby where you can test said router, that's probably your best bet first...

Second, i'd reinstall whatever software you have on the dell that handles the network. If you're using straight up windows and no intermediary, check your settings... if the router rebooted, maybe you have a different IP for it or something. Or maybe it lost its security access code? Or got it scrambled?

Is this a laptop btw, or a desktop? If it's a desktop, and again it was plugged in, there's a chance the network card was fried...
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I did a restore point, no help. I could reformat I think, Dell has a way of doing that and I have the OS on a disk. But someone told me my network card may be bad, not likely, but it sure seems like thats the first connection the comp has with incoming signals. Unfortunately I'm still basicly clueless about computers

Comment

this happened before the lightning hit, the router is fine but the desktop just wont recognise an incoming signal and it tells me I have an unplugged cable in the network. The lightning is or appears unrelated to this problem.

Comment

I'll check in tomorrow night to see what the Poly braintrust can come up with

thx

Comment

Unplugged cable just means it can't find the router. It doesn't mean the router's not talking to the network (obviously in this case), just that the computer doesn't think you have it hooked up to a router.

Basically, the things that could be wrong:

1. Router could be fried. Unlikely since the imac works.
              2. Cable could be bad. Again not likely since the imac works.
              3. Network card could be fried/bad. Most likely by far. Testable by replacing the network card.
              4. Software could be the problem. Windows (router improperly set up), or networking (not properly told where the router is, or what the password is for the router). Testable by reinstalling everything (including network card driver).

That's about it... nothing else worth mentioning that could be your problem. I largely suggest starting over with the network software/connection/etc., as it's the quickest fix (you may need to go download this stuff elsewhere unless your mac can write to something your pc can read), and then replacing the network card second as it's most likely but more expensive (unless you have a backup, try that first in that case).

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                3. Network card could be fried/bad. Most likely by far. Testable by replacing the network card.
                If you are using the Dell supplied card then this is odds on the most likely source of the problem. I had the exact same problem with a Dell one of my kids had. Replacing the card with a linksys card cured the problem.

Replacing the Dell with an HP cured a lot more problems.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

The dell 510 has a built in NIC so I'm not sure how you confirmed that the NIC was OK.

The cheapest and easiest solution is to re-install the drivers for the built in NIC. They should be on a dell resource disk.

The next easiest solution is to find or buy ($15-20) another NIC and try it out (uninstall the motherboard NIC).

The VERY VERY LAST thing you should do is to re-install the OS. I did that recently and it was a grand pain in the butt especially since I had no spare HD to back everything up onto (so I had to buy one).
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

thx all, tomorrow I'll finally have some time to look into my computer and this network card. So what does it look like? I understand its plugged into the motherboard and thats about it. I stopped by "Best" Buy and they'd do a diagnostic on it but they want $120 or so to put a new one in if thats the problem (they didn't have any in stock). They wanted $45 for testing, $35 for the card, and $40 to install software (drivers I guess)... ugh...

I dont think I can download stuff thru this imac so I hope I dont need to download software.

Comment

What does the router plug into? What type of cord does it use?

Those are the two main questions I have right now...

Comment

If you dont know what a NIC looks like how can you have checked that it's functioning?

So.

The outside of the NIC will have the female connector to which you attached the ethernet wire from the

......... ****........

I just re-read your post. You were using a wireless card with your E510!

Just to be clear, the same sprint card is working in a mac with the same wireless router?

I dont understand how you could've done that since you apparently havent opened up the E510 and dont know what a NIC looks like?
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

the router receives a wirelss signal from a cellular network and then it is wired to the computer w/ethernet. The router has a power plug and thats it.

Spencer - I'm not sure it is the network card, that just seems to be the first thing an incoming signal reaches. It could be software, drivers or something. But I checked my dell OS recovery disk and it says right on the disk it cant be used to reinstall drivers.

Comment

DriverGuide maintains the latest official drivers & driver updates for free download, to help update drivers quickly & easily

Maybe.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Try pulling out the card and re-seating it, preferably in a different slot. That's the best thing to do right now. You'll have to do this regardless, even if you get a new one, so might as well try.

Also, right click on my computer, and do Properties, Hardware, Device Manager. Navigate that and try to find the network adapter, probably under "Network Adapters". See if it has a ( ! ) next to it or something else red or yellow that might indicate a problem. If it doesn't, then windows at least thinks it's okay. If it's not there at all, then it might be quite damaged or the port might be damaged that it's plugged into.

Comment

Working...
                              X