No announcement yet.

Life in Prison for being Homeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you saying that the state should behave in an unethical manner?
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
      How hard would it be for the state legislature to finance another homeless shelter in Augusta? That way homeless sex offenders can still live in Augusta, and the state can keep its law the way it likes. Meanwhile the folks already arrested can be pardoned.

Highly unlikely, unless required by a court ruling. Or if a black guy is caught in the controversy and the usual activists make it a racial issue.

OK, finance a special halfway house for non-violent sex offenders who can't otherwise meet the housing requirements. In whose neighborhood are you going to put it? What happens when somebody builds a church, playground, or daycare within 1000'?
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

The effect is a foreseeable consequence when it becomes acceptable to reimplement the scarlet letter as a matter of public policy.
        Its a consequence of the combination of registration requirements, the 1000 foot exclusion, the failure to grandfather in existing facilities, and the dismal absence of enough homeless shelters in Georgia. Not to mention excessive punishment for non-registration due to a rigid view of repeat offenders. Take out one, or better two of those elements, and the remainder become viable.

I know soccer mom types, who dont share your view that sex offenders are not monsters beyond all other criminals, including ordinary murderers, and who dont see anything wrong with the registration requirement. And I dont see y'all making any arguement that would convince, them, as opposed to demonizing them for reacting from their gut.

OTOH, I think this country in general has far too few facilities for the homeless, too few shelters, too little therapy for substance abusers, too little mental health care for the uninsured. Why shouldnt I take a case like this to try to solve those real problems, where the soccer moms just might join me, rather than going on crusade about the legal distinction between a lifelong registration requirement, and say, parole.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Straybow
          Originally posted by lord of the mark
          How hard would it be for the state legislature to finance another homeless shelter in Augusta? That way homeless sex offenders can still live in Augusta, and the state can keep its law the way it likes. Meanwhile the folks already arrested can be pardoned.

Highly unlikely, unless required by a court ruling. Or if a black guy is caught in the controversy and the usual activists make it a racial issue.

OK, finance a special halfway house for non-violent sex offenders who can't otherwise meet the housing requirements. In whose neighborhood are you going to put it? What happens when somebody builds a church, playground, or daycare within 1000'?
          1. Industrial areas
          2. Grandfather it in - you build a NEW daycare center, church, or playground within 1000' at your own risk.

Do you think seperation of say, oil refineries from daycare centers is also unfeasible?
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

OTOH, I think this country in general has far too few facilities for the homeless, too few shelters, too little therapy for substance abusers, too little mental health care for the uninsured. Why shouldnt I take a case like this to try to solve those real problems, where the soccer moms just might join me, rather than going on crusade about the legal distinction between a lifelong registration requirement, and say, parole.
            This is why I dismiss activists (ok I was trying to be nice, but yes I mean liberals) as nothing more then attention seekers who probably weren't loved enough by their mother. They never focus on the most pressing issues and seem to care less about the people who are hurt the most. We have thousands of abused children in the world and the liberal wants to stick up for the one or two "oppressed" sickos. Seems in this world, helping children isn't sexy enough, but helping molesters is. We pay little attention to people crying for help for the innocent, but we argue at great lenghts over the hardships of the least deserving. The last part is as much our fault as the liberals however.
            EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

• Won't somebody please think of the children?

But not in that way...

And Bush should veto the SCHIP expansion, as he's threatened.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Shrapnel12
                We pay little attention to people crying for help for the innocent, but we argue at great lenghts over the hardships of the least deserving. The last part is as much our fault as the liberals however.
                I don't know how you come up with the idea that no one speaks out for children, and everyone deserves justice. You guys seem to think that people don't deserve justice when they are convicted of a crime. You people are ****ing savages.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Justice? Killing pedophiles is justice. Leaving them alive, giving them a second chance to do it again, that's the crime.
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer

Actually this has merit. Only people with children can sit on a jury where the crime is child molestation. Good job Molly, great idea!
                    Super!

In a similar vein, only African Americans to try African Americans then.

Might see something off a drop off in convictions...
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer
                      A second chance is a second chance to molest a child.

Really, I'm for killing them, and never giving them a second chance.
                      What if the conviction is discovered to be unsafe ?

Too bad, the executed innocent is just 'collateral damage' ?

I must say for someone with the good of innocents in mind, that seems a strange attitude.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                      X