No announcement yet.

Life in Prison for being Homeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

applying laws in an extreme fashion, can undermine support for the original purpose. One can retain the original purpose, but modify the rules used in application.

For ex, does it have to be 1000 feet? If you changed it to 500 feet, would that make it easier to find places to live? Alternatively, should the distance be smaller in an urban area, that is typically denser?

Should existing residences be "grandfathered" in?

meanwhile, wrt toa law that perhaps makes sense in many cases, but causes a catch 22 in certain cases, well thats what the governors right of pardon/commutation is for.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      The real problem with this law is it's exporting your problems to someone else. Sex offenders cannot live in Miami-Dade, so they have to move to Broward County. Thanks a lot, Miami. :MAD:
      Castro's a dick like that.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

meanwhile, wrt toa law that perhaps makes sense in many cases, but causes a catch 22 in certain cases, well thats what the governors right of pardon/commutation is for.

As for obviously faulty legislation that amounts to exiling certain classes of people, that's what repealing laws is for...
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

As for obviously faulty legislation that amounts to exiling certain classes of people, that's what repealing laws is for...
          If the distances were right, and the institutions you had to be a distance from were limited to a reasonable number, it wouldnt amount to "exile".

So if this law does mean exile, and this isnt an unusual case, where are all the others who are in this position?

The article mentions 15 folks, surely Georgia has far more registered sex offenders than that?
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Dunno. I would assume that there are enforcement issues. But if the only places in which sex offenders can live in Augusta are two hotels, that sounds an awful lot like exile (at least for urban areas).
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Hang him and God will find him a nice warm place.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

If the distances were right, and the institutions you had to be a distance from were limited to a reasonable number, it wouldnt amount to "exile".

So if this law does mean exile, and this isnt an unusual case, where are all the others who are in this position?

The article mentions 15 folks, surely Georgia has far more registered sex offenders than that?
                They're bad laws, period. They amount to additional punishment for a crime and do so for life.

And I'm no leftie.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                  Hang him and God will find him a nice warm place.
                  Then make the DP the punishment for kiddie fiddling.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Would if I could. That it isn't seems insane to me.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Well it isn't, even in states with the DP.

You're 18. You **** up.

Someone dies, you get out by 40 or so and live the rest of your life as best you can. You're ignored.

It was sexual, you get out by 28 and then Georgia throws you in prison for another 25 for not being able to live anywhere.

Great laws.

I'm actually surprised someone hasn't sued some state into the next century yet.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

I agree with nye. There laws just can't have any reasonable effectiveness for protecting children without amounting to exile.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                          I'm actually surprised someone hasn't sued some state into the next century yet.
                          It'd have to be some sort of constitutional claim, and outside of double jeopardy (which won't fly), I can't see what else it'd be. Claiming homelessness is part of a right to privacy?
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Due process, definitely.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

The guy imprisoned for life for not having an address might have a shot at double jeopardy, in my opinion.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

What sort of due process claim? Substantive due process, of course (it isn't procedural.. or at least it isn't challengeable procedural due process)... but what is he going to claim?
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X