Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greateat civilization in history (Debate I)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greateat civilization in history (Debate I)

I will first explain why I there will be debates. To help get rid of personal biases and let people know some facts they didn't know. This is a time for people good things about civs they think are being underrated or bad things about ones they think are overrated.

Here is the current list.

USA
    Inca
    Mayas
    Italy
    Germany
    England/Britian
    France
    Spain
    Rome
    Greece
    Byzantium
    Egypt
    Persia
    Hebrews
    Arabia
    Babylon
    China
    India
    Mongols
    Japan
    Khmer
    Ethiopia
    Mauritania

I would like to start of by defending Italy. Italy lead Europe cuturerly and technelogically for over 500 years. They had some of the greatest Architectural Achievements of their time. The City States were built on their massive trade economies. These large economies let them defend themselves from the much larger nations surronding them.
    Last edited by Will9; August 2, 2007, 03:13.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Are you crazy? The Italians were rich, but that's mostly thanks to their sleazy commercial machinations. They were battlefield of Europe for centuries, not being able to establish a real power for themselves politically. The cities were usually not destroyed, but that's mainly because French or Spanish never really had an interest in doing so. It's a bit like the ancient Levant during the Egyptian-Hittite conflict. It too was quite wealthy, but what good was that if armies invaded all the time, imposing exactions on the populace etc etc.
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Where are the African candidates?
      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

wtf Inca, wtf Maya?

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
          Where are the African candidates?
          Fixed. I had only been looking at the polls which didn't include Africa.
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            wtf Inca, wtf Maya?

wtf kucispam.

why aren't you finally banned?
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Mauritania
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Not that I have anything against pointless debates, but why don't we just make a poll with Greece, Rome, China and England and be done with it?
                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Civilization was defined in the OP as a sum of 8 significant criteria. I gave 1 to 5 stars to each criterium, and made the total.

Italy
                  1. Historical Significance -
                  2. Military Power - *
                  3. Political Power - *
                  4. Cultural Power - *****
                  5. Economic Power - ***
                  6. Scientific Development - ***
                  7. Architectural - ***
                  8. Centraliztion- *
                  Total : 17/40

This could make a bit clearer the comparison between basically (and literally) incomparable civilizations.
                  Statistical anomaly.
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                    Not that I have anything against pointless debates, but why don't we just make a poll with Greece, Rome, China and England and be done with it?
                    Add India and we have a deal. However, the point is that we love pointless debates.

Comment

Why would someone include England in this Poll?
                      the country wasn´t more special than other european states of the time,
                      for example the Holy roman empire (Germany), Spain or France.

I would include Egypt, China, Greece, Rome and Byzantium in this poll
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

7. Architectural - ***
                        Certainly they deserve at least four if not five stars in this category. Venice alone warrants it.

the country wasn´t more special than other european states of the time
                        Their colonial empire makes the special. There is no European power that comes even close to this. Not to mention their complete dominance of the sea for about 150 years with a none to shaby army.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                          Their colonial empire makes the special. There is no European power that comes even close to this. Not to mention their complete dominance of the sea for about 150 years with a none to shaby army.
                          I agree that their empire was larger than other empires of this time, but germany as well as france, holland or spain had oversea colonies (germany only in Africa and on some small islands however), so the english were just a little bit more successful in this than other nations.

Nothing IMHO that would make them stand out as greatest Civilization in history
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                            Why would someone include England in this Poll?
                            the country wasn´t more special than other european states of the time,
                            for example the Holy roman empire (Germany), Spain or France.
                            How about spreading today's dominant language, culture and political institutions around half the globe?
                            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I think this is more the merit of the USA.

Had the USA adpted german as unofficial official language (which could´ve been the case as a large percentage of the immigrants in the USA came from germany) half of the globe would nowadays speak german

(Before WW1 and WW2 german was also the language used internationally in science)

Comment

Working...
                              X