The Separate Ingmar Bergman Memorial Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Separate Ingmar Bergman Memorial Thread

Given the way the Ming-penned Snyder/Bergman obituary rapidly degenerated, I'd like to propose this as the tribute thread for a great theatre, opera and film director.

Bergman's films were shown on terrestrial television occasionally (BBC 2 naturally) which suited some of the more claustrophobic intimate dramas about the breakdown of people's relationships and marital discord.

The first film of his which I saw on the big screen was 'Fanny and Alexander' , a story of a theatrical family hit by the sudden death of the father and the subsequent marriage of the young widow to a cold and unloving bishop and the travails of two young children in a frigid household with a vindictive stepfather.

It's full of warmth and humour and humanity.

A complete contrast to 'The Virgin Spring' (which was to inspire vastly inferior modern remakes incl. 'Last House On The Left' ).

Although it too has delightful scenes of domestic joy and pastoral splendour, this is all undermined by the intrusion of brutal thieving outsiders who rape and kill the daughter of the house.

Certainly the impact of Bergman's films owes much to the intelligent camerawork of Sven Nykvist- although the recurrent themes of Bergman's work are intellectually engaging, their impact is enhanced by the visuals created by Nykvist.

I also recommend Bergman's autobiography, 'The Magic Lantern'- not a gossipy piece of writing, but more of an insight into his passion for cinema and cinematography.
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

My first was, perhaps predictably, The Seventh Seal -- in an era before cable and VCRs, I saw what the art houses and college film societies showed, and that led the pack. I remember not quite getting it the first time through -- I was 15, maybe -- but knowing it was beautiful, and being thrilled that film could be so complex that I might not be able to really comprehend it on the first go. The second time I saw it, I was in love.

Cries and Whispers was next, I think, and then Through a Glass Darkly, Smiles of a Summer Night, and Wild Strawberries. And then much of the rest (though, shockingly, I still haven't gotten around to Persona).

To say nothing of De Duve, probably the greatest film parody ever, and one that manages to thoroughly lampoon Bergman (and by extension all post-war art cinema) without ever diminishing him.

Bergman.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

To say nothing of De Duve, probably the greatest film parody ever, and one that manages to thoroughly lampoon Bergman (and by extension all post-war art cinema) without ever diminishing him.
      I have always thought of Woody Allen's 'Interiors' as being the funniest parody of a Bergman film. I don't find much of Mr. Allen's output terribly amusing (a kvetch too far for me) but 'Interiors' had me crying with laughter.

Except for Geraldine Page and E. G. Marshall and Maureen Stapleton, everyone else seems to take themselves and the film FAR too seriously.

Anyway: Bergman A film maker of intelligence.
      Attached Files
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Great idea Molly
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Molly, where is the image in the OP from? The magic lantern or something else?

Comment

Fanny and Alexander
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Picasso has to vie with Bergman for greatest artist of the 20th Century. The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries are without a doubt two of my most favorite movies. I also really like Persona. He was the one who showed me what movies could truly be.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Anybody else notice that Antonioni just died, too?

I hope Godard has been taken to a safe haven somewhere...
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                X