Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curb gang activity with classical music!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curb gang activity with classical music!

The page you're trying to access could not be found or is no longer available.

The title says it all. Though if gangs ever start listening to classical we are in trouble. I would hope they put the speakers in a place they can't be destroyed.

They've been doing this in Vauxhall tube station near me for a few years now - it seems to work well, because I haven't seen any 'youths' loitering around recently, and provides a pleasant bit of Bach while catching a train.
    Last edited by Adrian Hon; July 31, 2007, 04:48.
    mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

Would Nina Simone count?

I could live with it, if she does..........
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
        Would Nina Simone count?

I could live with it, if she does..........
        She does play a few snatches of classical music in some of her improvisations at the piano.

I liked the way she combined folk/jazz/classical influences in her instrumental music.

I loved her expressive voice most of all though- not the prettiest of voices, but real depths of emotion on songs like 'Four Women' and 'Black Is The Colour' .
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
          I loved her expressive voice most of all though- not the prettiest of voices, but real depths of emotion on songs like 'Four Women' and 'Black Is The Colour' .
          She has a voice that has "lived" or could be described as "real".

Interestingly - she also had "broken" her voice - could sing between octaves, while remaining on key. Very hard to do, and almost certainly a natural talent.....

She was brilliant IMO.
          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

She has a voice that has "lived" or could be described as "real".
            Definitely.

It's not always the most superficially 'beautiful' voices that I find attractive- I like the 70s' 'Broken English'/'Rich Kid Blues' Marianne Faithfull much more than the 60s' version with that sweet schoolgirl voice.

And don't get me started on Alberta Hunter and Lotte Lenya...

She put a spell on me:
            Attached Files

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Strange Fruit.........

Comment

Strange Fruit.........
                I really enjoyed her version of Leonard Cohen's 'Suzanne' too.

Comment

They've been playing classical music - mostly opera - at one of the entrances to Copenhagen central station for years. It was supposed to discourage drug addicts and dealers from hanging out there. I don't know if it has helped any, from casual and sporadic observation, it appears that they've just relocated about 5 meters to either side of the entrance - and I suppose they've preemptively donned some earplugs.

Maybe they should hire Montserrat Caballé to follow them around for a while..

Comment

Working...
                  X