Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to go scientists!

Scientists breed world’s first mentally ill mouse

SCIENTISTS have created the world’s first schizophrenic mice in an attempt to gain a better understanding of the illness.

It is believed to be the first time an animal has been genetically engineered to have a mental illness. Until now they have been bred only for research into physical conditions such as heart disease. It will allow researchers to study the disease and develop treatments using a limitless supply of laboratory animals.

Animal rights campaigners have condemned the research, saying that it is morally repugnant to create an animal doomed to mental suffering.

The mice were created by modifying their DNA to mimic a mutant gene first found in a Scottish family with a high incidence of schizophrenia, which affects about one in every 100 people. The mice’s brains were found to have features similar to those of humans with schizophrenia, such as depression and hyperactivity.

“These mutant mice may provide an important new tool for further study of the combinations of factors that underlie mental illnesses like schizophrenia and mood disorders,” said Takatoshi Hikida, of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, a leading researcher.

The egg cells of mice were genetically modified by inserting a gene associated with schizophrenia into their DNA. The eggs were fertilised and grown into viable baby mice using surrogate mothers.

Animal Aid, a campaign group, said rodents were not a reliable way of modelling human disease.

"Mickey, put down that knife!"
    "Sorry, Minnie -- the voices in my head tell me that you have to die!"

Edit - Added a link.
    Last edited by Dauphin; July 30, 2007, 08:09.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

I think I'll side with the animal rights activists and say that I don;t like this use of genetic engineering.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

How could an animal with no intelligence, emotions, or consciousness be schizophrenic?

Oh, those silly anthropomorphizing scientists!
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Actually, my money would be on the journalist doing that.

I can imagine the explanation:

S: We have added the genes thought to be partially responsible for human predisposition to schizophrenia, to a mouse, to see what happens.
        J: So the mouse is mentally ill?
        S: No, you see, there are very complex variables that mean that... [journo's eyes glaze over for 10 minutes]....which means that it is not mental illness per se, you see?
        J: So the mouse is mentally ill?
        S: Ugh. Yeah, why not.

Comment

Experimenting on mice for the potential benefit of humanity.

Comment

Schizophrenia an illness? It's 'normal' people who are ill.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

That headline
              Blah

Comment

Genetic engineering:

Animal rights wackos:

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                  Experimenting on mice for the potential benefit of humanity.
                  QFT

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                    Genetic engineering:

Animal rights wackos:
                    Doesn't quite compute with your sig...

Animal rights wackos:
                    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                    And notifying the next of kin
                    Once again...

Comment

Has anyone actually clicked the link yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                        Has anyone actually clicked the link yet?
                        Nope. I don't want to wait 15 seconds before being redirected. And I'm not that much interested in your PM's exploits in Washington...
                        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                        And notifying the next of kin
                        Once again...

Comment

I'm surprised nobody's linked to that "scientists admit they just hate mice" article from the Onion yet...WRT the OP, this is nothing compared to what mice have undergone for Science in the past. Or even what they have undergone for our amusement. We regularly throw their infant children into cages with snakes to be eaten alive. What's so bad about this?

EDIT: It would have been much funnier if you'd linked to something vaguely related to what you posted. As is, it just makes you go "huh?"

SECOND EDIT: I found it!

Last edited by Elok; July 30, 2007, 16:50.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                            How could an animal with no intelligence, emotions, or consciousness be schizophrenic?

Oh, those silly anthropomorphizing scientists!
                            No emotions?

My feeling is that humans often seriously underestimate the intelligence, emotions, and consciousness of animals... mammals at least seem to have powerful brains.

Personally I consider the killing of big intelligent animals such as whales, dolphins and gorillas to be close to equivalent to killing humans. IMO they are more similar to us than most people realize.
                            http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                              EDIT: It would have been much funnier if you'd linked to something vaguely related to what you posted. As is, it just makes you go "huh?"
                              I only realised I posted the wrong link after, and I couldn't be bothered to change it.

Comment

Working...
                              X