Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US looses $10 billion on Saudi arms deal

WTF?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I'm not sure if I even want to understand such transactions...
    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

So they're selling stuff to SA, and in order to not hurt Israeli feelings, give them more stuff?

And since when in SA "moderate"?
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

It's all relative, I suppose. Look who lives in their neighborhood.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The US is shelling moneys to buy more political influence, and in the long run, gain more "defense contracting" deals.

what is new?

Comment

The random speculation I heard was that the arms deals to both the KSA and Israel are something of a 'Plan B' now that it's proven impossible to set up an anti-Iran buffer state in Iraq (scratch Plan A), and given that most or even all of Iraq is bound to fall into Tehran's orbit after we withdraw. I suppose that's as good an explanation as any.
          Unbelievable!

Comment

I guess that is to make up for all the equipment the Israelis lost when they got their asses handed to them last year in the Lebanon...
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I don't know about any equipment, but they sure will need to replenish al those obsolete clusterbombs they dropped in Lebanon
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

A fair few of their tanks got blown up IIRC.

Comment

It makes perfect sense. We're arming the Israelis because they're worried about us arming the Saudis. And we're arming the Saudis because they're worried about us arming Iranian proxies in charge of Iraq. And we're arming these Iranian proxies (who recently demanded us to fire Petraeus) to combat sectarian violence, principally coming from Arab Nationalist Sunni Arabs. And we're arming recently anti-government Sunni Arabs to help suppress AQ in Mesopatamia. We're also working with the Turks to suppress the PKK because they're worried about us arming Kurds. Incidentally, we're also arming a wing of the PKK to combat Iran.

And obviously, nothing could possibly go wrong here. I mean, the one thing that the Middle East is missing are weapons....
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

That's what you get for giving stupid people the power to vote stupid people into the govt of the world's only superpower...

Comment

Or voting Bush's poodle into the gov't of the world's only super-power's strongest ally for that matter...
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

Bush's poodle tricked his own party into voting for war, but yes you are right! I was and still am embarrassed for the actions of a government that I hasten to add I did not vote for.

Hopefully Gordon Brown will start extricating us from up Bush's sizeable rectum, though with a surname like Brown, I'm not entirely convinced...

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                          A fair few of their tanks got blown up IIRC.
                          You know, inside those tanks are human beings ?
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Where Israel is concerned, that is a statement open to conjecture...

A couple of their soldiers get kidnapped, so they flatten half a country killing over a thousand civilians.

Yes they are usually conscripts, but even conscripts have a choice to turn their backs on being part of the next in a long line of war crimes perpetrated by an aggressive nation built on the back of terrorism, so excuse me if I have very little sympathy for these supposed human beings...

Comment

I seem to remember something about rockets...
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X